Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Is The 5.5~22 Nightforce my only choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Is The 5.5~22 Nightforce my only choice?

Exactly, once the light gets too low to use a NF at ELR, its too dark to be shooting that far in my opinion. They are not that far behind Swaro Z6 of the same objective size in low light performance. Forget standing out side a shop trying to hold and compare scopes at probably most likely close range. Get them side by side in the field at ELR in low light and see the resolution difference. There is not that much, not enough that I would take a shot half an hour later with the Z6 that's for sure!
Old 11-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Longranger View Post
Exactly, once the light gets too low to use a NF at ELR, its too dark to be shooting that far in my opinion. They are not that far behind Swaro Z6 of the same objective size in low light performance. Forget standing out side a shop trying to hold and compare scopes at probably most likely close range. Get them side by side in the field at ELR in low light and see the resolution difference. There is not that much, not enough that I would take a shot half an hour later with the Z6 that's for sure!

Very well said.

Jeff
Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
The "shop" I'm talking about has a 700 yard range behind it, and a view into sagebrush hills over 2 miles away with no artificial light behind the shop. For me it ranks as objective of a test as you will get until someone decides to write a scientific article on it in some gun magazine. Lots of information floating out there these days, and most of the resoundingly positive information pulling for a product one way or another comes from someone who is compensated for the use or endorsement of a product by that company. Three other friends of mine, plus one of them that works in the place agreed with my observations because it was very simple to place one scope to your eye, then compare it with another back and forth. NF glass is of very good quality certainly, but not "outstanding" compared to many others. Still a step above leupold glass, but not even close to swaro, or even most zeiss glass in our test. Is there a place in New Zealand where you have been able to look through several different scopes at a distance of 500 yards side by side in similar conditions? I kind of get the feeling you think I walked into some gun store and pointed a bunch of scopes at the wall to formulate my opinion.

Outside of that...can you tell me more about your experiences with March scopes, and what reticle choice you feel would be the best match to the NP-R1 as far as subtension goes?? I would appreciate it.
THANK YOU!!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

Broz, have you looked through a vortex razor 5-20? I have not been able to compare it side by side with a nightforce but a few people I have talked to like the vortex better. It has 125 minutes of travel, EBR-1 reticle, 25 moa turrets, and come with rings and level!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Silver Member

And forgot to add they have a lifetime no fault warranty, you can drop it off a mountain, and they'll replace it, run it over with your truck on accident (happens pretty often) they'll replace it, hell you could even beat and elk to death with it, and if you can prove its a vortex they'll replace it! Great company to deal with.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

Hammerhand,
Its sounds like I've done you a disservice! Yes, it did sound like you had only looked at them outside a shop in town somewhere.
Yep, I've tested a lot of scopes at range, in low light conditions, into a low angle sun etc etc. The Z6 is in my opinion the top of the heap optically, but I'd choose a Nightforce any day for ELR for all the reasons covered previously.
I've used the 2.5-25x42 and 5-50x56. They both have very good optics for their objective size, but neither is what I would consider an ELR scope. The baby scope is lacking optically at more than 20x unless the light is really bright. And other March's don't enough up for real ELR work - 60 MOA.
The reticle I like is either the MTR-1 or MTR-3 for long range work, as I use MOA. On an all round hunting rifle that may be used at close range in the bush in low light, just the ordinary DE Plex is better, as you can loose the MTR-1 especially in very low light. Its pretty thin.

Sorry supercrossbmx69, there's not a Vortex scope I've used or looked through that is in the same league as a NF, especially in low light! The Vortex falls even further behind then. I know you asked Jeff, but that's my opinion for what its worth!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Sorry supercrossbmx69, there's not a Vortex scope I've used or looked through that is in the same league as a NF, especially in low light! The Vortex falls even further behind then. I know you asked Jeff, but that's my opinion for what its worth!
Just curious, have you looked through the Razor. It is noticeably better glass than anything else Vortex has including the PST's. Just wondering. I would say the Razor is on par or a touch better than NF but not enough to say for sure as individual scopes and eyes will likely make the difference.

Regardless of that the Razor is FFP and Jeff wants SFP.

Scot E.