Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

40 Hart vs 338 Allen mag.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

40 Hart vs 338 Allen mag.

In I'm the market for the baddest long range weapon for elk and whatever else is unlucky. So after searching the internet machine I was unable to find any comparisons of these two weapons. What do you guys with more knowledge think. A little compare and contrast if you will.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: 40 Hart vs 338 Allen mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snox801 View Post
In I'm the market for the baddest long range weapon for elk and whatever else is unlucky. So after searching the internet machine I was unable to find any comparisons of these two weapons. What do you guys with more knowledge think. A little compare and contrast if you will.
I think the “baddest” extreme long range weapon for elk is your mind. The biggest and “baddest” can sometimes just get one into bigger and “badder” trouble if they can’t properly use the system ELR. And just the same they can get you out of trouble just as likely. If you can answer the details about what you would be gaining with a cartridge such as the 338AM over your current hunting cartridge then you are well on your way. I would ask you this, what benefits will you be gaining with a 338AM over say a 338AX for elk hunting or any other big game hunting? There is good "hunting" discussion of comparison and contrast just between these two cartridges.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
I think the “baddest” extreme long range weapon for elk is your mind. The biggest and “baddest” can sometimes just get one into bigger and “badder” trouble if they can’t properly use the system ELR. And just the same they can get you out of trouble just as likely. If you can answer the details about what you would be gaining with a cartridge such as the 338AM over your current hunting cartridge then you are well on your way. I would ask you this, what benefits will you be gaining with a 338AM over say a 338AX for elk hunting or any other big game hunting? There is good "hunting" discussion of comparison and contrast just between these two cartridges.

Darn good statement!

Thinking big is a trait I can't grow out of. When deciding between to big guns I went with the 375 Allen Mag over the 338 Allen Mag. For use on game I gained nothing more than 50 grains of bullet weight. Not one iota of difference other than that.

Shot opportunities have proven that the 338AX would be sufficient for anything I could ever stumble across.

However, now that I have the 375 I'm done looking. Kind of a peaceful feeling.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member

Me, I'll take a Bradley or an M1A1 myself. Both have bad asses guns and both have heat and a comfortable seat.

Why walk when you can drive.....
Old 11-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Silver Member

I would Buy the .308 or .338 cal in one of Kirby's configurations for long range shooting because of the Accuracy first, then availability of good brass an bullets. Accuracy being the most important then size/energy.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Me, I'll take a Bradley or an M1A1 myself. Both have bad asses guns and both have heat and a comfortable seat.

Why walk when you can drive.....
They sure are impressive systems, except for the seat part....I'm not so sure about that!
Old 11-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

Get the 338 Allen mag. Faster flatter more energy better bullets. There is no need to shoot over a 300 grain bullet. If you want the biggest and baddest with the most energy get a 50bmg. Or a 50/20 Anzio