Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

3650 yards target nailed !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 3650 yards target nailed !!!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting. traveling in the Lear at almost the speed of sound, you really don't notice the speed, especially with plenty of Crown Royal....

Flights are always quick but airports are slow unless you land at a private field, thats not bad. problem is, most private fields don't have enough runway to get airborne on or land on.

Lears do have a 'chute in the tail but it's a one time use and costs 10 grand.

I guess what I'm driving at is I wonder how going from supersonic to transonic impacts the bullet in it's flight path. There has to be turbulence just like in the Lear.

Pretty obvious to me that the guys shooting in the OP's post were just out for a good time.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:12 PM

It's no more impressive than hitting a 100 yard target with a Glock 19. You can do it, but not with precision and not every single time. Hardly "skill". Windage, spin drift, and coreolis effect at that range would have you doping close to most scope limits. I shoot my 7mm Rem Mag with a Leupold 6.5x20x 50mm LR scope with ballistics reticle and I've never taken a shot at game past 740 yards. I know my gun is capable beyond that distance, but I have to consider my ability as well as making a clean, humane shot that drops the animal.

I don't want to take away from a legit shot because I couldn't take that shot in a million years. There isn't a gun I can handle where that would be a "smart" shot. Largest I have shot is 50 cal BMG at 1200 yards. With over 1,700 yards in a mile, I just say, "Wow."

My next dream rig is a .338 Lapua. Now I'll take a 900+ yard shot with that!
Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRob View Post
I've never taken a shot at game past 740 yards. I know my gun is capable beyond that distance
I agree with your comments on keeping limits to within reasonable capability.

Every one of the rifles I have used to harvest big game or used to assist others with their harvest have a "capable" distance far beyond the range the animals were actually taken. My choice of practice and field experience includes ranges beyond reasonable certainty for a high probability of a hit for a specific sized target. If you train very hard for the half mile race with a goal to complete with a good quarter mile time, when it's time to run the quarter mile there should be no doubt your time will be outstanding. Learn from this experience and apply reasonable certainty when it's time to hunt. Shoot confident, shoot smart, shoot straight.....and practice long.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

I think Kirby is spot on...this video was a disappointment. Maybe it has some R&D type value, but beyond that what does it prove, other than the fact that bullets can travel 2 miles.

I'd get a lot more out of a video of a guy making a 1500 yard first round hit in an 8 inch bull with a legal hunting rifle under difficult wind conditions, especially if he described his wind doping techniques.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMAG2 View Post
I think Kirby is spot on...this video was a disappointment. Maybe it has some R&D type value, but beyond that what does it prove, other than the fact that bullets can travel 2 miles.

I'd get a lot more out of a video of a guy making a 1500 yard first round hit in an 8 inch bull with a legal hunting rifle under difficult wind conditions, especially if he described his wind doping techniques.
Amen!
Old 09-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
Whats the BC on that one and where can I buy one!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com