Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

3650 yards target nailed !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 3650 yards target nailed !!!

I find it odd that this would bunch anyone's panties up, they are pushing the max even on getting a hold in their optic, if you don't push it you'll never learn beyond the range your at and when you push it hard the wheels will fall of so you go back and take what you learn and give it another go, or just launch some bullets and see if you can throw some dirt on it and have some fun at any rate hardly a reason to get bunched up!!
Every shot fired in a long range black powder cartridge match goes sub sonic mid way down or sooner and you screw a scope to one of those rifles and it will shoot incredibly well. At some point we'll be pushing the transonic so hard even with cartridges like the Cheytac that some bullet design will have to focus one a clean transition vs staying ahead of the barrier. Sounds like good times to me

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Kind of reminds me of a guy who owned a bike like mine. He took the stock bike (it makes 150 horsepower in stock form) and built the bike to the point it was good for nothing but running the salt flats, had to be trailered everywhere, not street legal and he disappeared from our forum a while ago. I think he either killed himself or scared the **** out of himself, or both.

Pushing the limits is fun sometimes, always costly and not always good. My panties are never in a bunch, I don't wear panties.......

.................though I hear they are the cat's meow for long road rides on a bike.

Opening day here will find me hunting whitetails on private property. A long shot will probably be 50 yards or so.....
Old 09-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
To some there is training value with shooting a projectile to the extent of a stable ballistic profile. At times precision may not be the goal but rather learning from the effects of multiple environment conditions and hit probability, even though low, all while under changing conditions. If this is a goal the sure way to confirm is to shoot it. In this case no doubt consistency is difficult if not impractical and hit probability will be low.

As such, I personally would not choose a similar ballistics capable cartridge for this type of range experience. Too expensive for me for the training value and too difficult to verify impacts. Iíll stick to my 308 and 1400 yards for this purpose. Both to me would have similar training value, one is just more conducive. And for others, to each his own.
What you say is certainly true but that is not what these guys were coming off on the video trying to portray. While I agree with your comments, IF that is what these guys were doing, they should have stated as such.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I find it odd that this would bunch anyone's panties up, they are pushing the max even on getting a hold in their optic, if you don't push it you'll never learn beyond the range your at and when you push it hard the wheels will fall of so you go back and take what you learn and give it another go, or just launch some bullets and see if you can throw some dirt on it and have some fun at any rate hardly a reason to get bunched up!!
Every shot fired in a long range black powder cartridge match goes sub sonic mid way down or sooner and you screw a scope to one of those rifles and it will shoot incredibly well. At some point we'll be pushing the transonic so hard even with cartridges like the Cheytac that some bullet design will have to focus one a clean transition vs staying ahead of the barrier. Sounds like good times to me
I could not agree more with your comments but if someone that did not know better watched this video, they would think, DAMN, I can get a 375 Cheytac and have a rifle that will hit a target at 2 miles.

Suppose I have a unique perspective as I am a rifle manufacturer that builds rifles in this class of performance and some well above this level. Still, I have customers coming to me all the time saying they saw a rifle that shoots consistently at 2 miles and that they want me to build them a rifle like the one they saw.

After a couple hours of reeducating these guys and explaining WHY this is not realistic in most applications. It can take a lot of time out of a work day trying to educate new comers to our sport.

Would say I have pushed the ballistic envelope as hard as most out there and have a good idea what will and will not work in the real world so when I see these videos, it kind of rubs me the wrong way because I know there are a load of guys out there that simply do not have the experience to watch this and know what they are seeing.

That is my only point.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Kind of reminds me of a guy who owned a bike like mine. He took the stock bike (it makes 150 horsepower in stock form) and built the bike to the point it was good for nothing but running the salt flats, had to be trailered everywhere, not street legal and he disappeared from our forum a while ago. I think he either killed himself or scared the **** out of himself, or both.

Pushing the limits is fun sometimes, always costly and not always good. My panties are never in a bunch, I don't wear panties.......

.................though I hear they are the cat's meow for long road rides on a bike.

Opening day here will find me hunting whitetails on private property. A long shot will probably be 50 yards or so.....
Nothing wrong with pushing the limits of your sport. That's how we make improvements and increase performance levels. My only problem is making something look one way when in reality, things are much different then they are TRYING to make something look.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-10-2013, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Oh boy.... now ya gone and done it Ed!!! Needed a little excitemnt with your coffee this morning?

Wish they said what bullet and velocity they shooting? Here is the best case scenario I can come with. 425 gr CEB (1.0 BC) @ 3200 fps (like Kiwi Greg's load) @ 6500" elevation. That get's them to 3650 yds just before going transonic.
I know Mark ... sorry but as you can see with my initial comment, that's all I can say.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

I guess I missed what the actual target size was, does anyone know for sure? In the video does he not get two consecutive hits? If so I think that takes some of the luck out of it and shows they have dialed in and found the dope. Just my take on it, and I am pretty surprised at some responses to this. If I had made these shots and had it in video I would have posted it. And I would have not been impressed with anyone playing it down. I have seen first hand what two different LRKM's can do at past 2500 yards. Now 3600 is a heck of a lot farther, but 1 moa consistency at 2500~2700 yards is reality for the LRKM and Shawn's video at 2751 shows 3/4 moa hits. Some think as soon as you go subsonic the game is over. I am here to tell you first hand that is not true with all bullets and altitudes. So it is coming boys like it or not.

Just my take on all this.

Jeff