Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

3650 yards target nailed !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: 3650 yards target nailed !!!

Regardless of the delivery system or number of people involved, ballistics is ballistics with a projectile in flight. It does seem the longer the range or harder the conditions the more enjoyment and satisfaction comes from making a hit on target. Of course reasonable certainty should be the fundamental goal when applied to harvesting animals.

Many times I have sat behind a howitzer after computing the ballistics solution for shots well over ten miles away. Same physics and computations required but with more room for accuracy inconsistency due to errors compounded by the time of flight. Coriolis while shooting these distances actually means something. After the shot there is time to take a few bites out of a sandwich followed by sips of Coke before impact. If quick enough another round or two can be shot before the first round impacts.

ELR shooting no matter what form or venue is FUN. Much can be taken from the experience of watching your solution fall apart the longer your projectile stays in flight. Shoot long, learn from it, and apply reasonable certainty when itís time to hunt.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby.... You can launch a 308 pill that far if you put enough arc in it. Hitting something consistently, I don't think so.

Won't a platry .22 pill travel that far if unimpeded?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Kirby.... You can launch a 308 pill that far if you put enough arc in it. Hitting something consistently, I don't think so.

Won't a platry .22 pill travel that far if unimpeded?
That is my point, throwing a bullet to that range and precision shooting at that range are two completely different things. What they showed in the video is NOT precision shooting, its throwing bullets at a 144 square foot target and hoping to get a bullet on it so they can say the rifle is capable of 2 mile precision shooting. They did not prove that....

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Not piling on , Just commenting.

At 3650 yards this is just a siege weapon for keeping someones head down Not precision shooting.

To me precision shooting is when a person can repeatably hit an object game size at there personal maximum distance and within the limits of the bullet ballistics.

In Texas we have a saying "Even a blind hog can find an acorn with enough time and luck" this was not skill and ask way to much of the rifle.

There is a limit to every cartridge/projectile and they exceeded that and proved nothing.

They were having fun but I don't think they sold anyone on there prowess.

Just a comment nothing personal.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Oh boy.... now ya gone and done it Ed!!! Needed a little excitemnt with your coffee this morning?

Wish they said what bullet and velocity they shooting? Here is the best case scenario I can come with. 425 gr CEB (1.0 BC) @ 3200 fps (like Kiwi Greg's load) @ 6500" elevation. That get's them to 3650 yds just before going transonic.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
That get's them to 3650 yds just before going transonic.
To some there is training value with shooting a projectile to the extent of a stable ballistic profile. At times precision may not be the goal but rather learning from the effects of multiple environment conditions and hit probability, even though low, all while under changing conditions. If this is a goal the sure way to confirm is to shoot it. In this case no doubt consistency is difficult if not impractical and hit probability will be low.

As such, I personally would not choose a similar ballistics capable cartridge for this type of range experience. Too expensive for me for the training value and too difficult to verify impacts. Iíll stick to my 308 and 1400 yards for this purpose. Both to me would have similar training value, one is just more conducive. And for others, to each his own.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
To some there is training value with shooting a projectile to the extent of a stable ballistic profile. At times precision may not be the goal but rather learning from the effects of multiple environment conditions and hit probability, even though low, all while under changing conditions. If this is a goal the sure way to confirm is to shoot it. In this case no doubt consistency is difficult if not impractical and hit probability will be low.

As such, I personally would not choose a similar ballistics capable cartridge for this type of range experience. Too expensive for me for the training value and too difficult to verify impacts. Iíll stick to my 308 and 1400 yards for this purpose. Both to me would have similar training value, one is just more conducive. And for others, to each his own.
My guess is their bullets were going transonic well before 3650 yds which would make precision shooting difficult to say the least, depending how well the particular bullet handled the transition.

I think they were out there to have some fun and make a video showing them hitting something a 2 miles, event though it was the size of a bran door.

I would love to have weapon like that, but would not waste powder and projectiles any farther than I could shoot it with some amount of precision and predictability.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams