Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Which 338 and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Which 338 and why?

338 edge, excaliber, lapua improved, or edge+p for best ELR rifle and why one over the other?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which 338 and why?

Based on the data provided on the cartridge designer's sites, the Viersco .338 SnipeTac slightly out distances the .338 Allen Magnum in the distance before the projectile goes subsonic - see http://www.elr-resources.com/ELR%20C...2012252013.xls

To outdo those you'll need to step up to .375 caliber.
Not a commercial business.
ELR...anything shorter is point blank!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Best for Elr is a little vague, can you give some more insight what your looking for in a chambering. But IMO I'd say 338 lapua imp for all around use LR target shooting to LR big game hunting. That and in a pinch you can run factory ammo through it.

Last edited by TXAoudadKlr; 03-03-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotelite View Post
338 edge, excaliber, lapua improved, or edge+p for best ELR rifle and why one over the other?
It depends on what you are going for.
VELOCITY= slowest to fastest = 338 Win Mag, 338 RUM and 338 Lapua, 338 edge, 338 +p, 338/378
Weatherby, and the 338 Excalibur.

Best brass life= Lapua

Cheapest brass= 338 Win Mag

Most expensive brass= Excalibur.

All of these have available dies and brass is sometimes limited to one or two brands.

Range= will depend on what you intend to shoot and how far.

Wildcats are in a different group and may be harder/more expensive to build/shoot.

Unless you intend to shoot over 1500 yards all will do the job.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR Researcher View Post
Based on the data provided on the cartridge designer's sites, the Viersco .338 SnipeTac slightly out distances the .338 Allen Magnum in the distance before the projectile goes subsonic - see http://www.elr-resources.com/ELR%20C...2012252013.xls

To outdo those you'll need to step up to .375 caliber.
Anyone can claim a longer maximum distance of supersonic flight by increasing said velocity!

What is not understood by many, is that there is an accuracy node that is below what is commonly published in these configurations. That "realistic" velocity is not only the accuracy node, but will allow more than one firing per case.

I know you only publish what is given to you Oscar, but a considerable amount of additional research is needed by the consumer before conclusions should be made. It's the responsibility of the consumer...

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 AM
Gold Member

Part of the question depends upon the action and bolt face that you have. The Edge and Edge variants use a standard long action, while the 338 and its variants use a 338 size action.

You didn't mention anything based upon the 408 CheyTac, but they are even bigger and send pills faster than the ones you mentioned, specifically the 338/408 and the similar magnum from Kirby Allen, and the ones made by Blackdiamond... the 338 and 375 Viersco magnum.

I have seen several edge's that shoot lights out at distance beyond 1,900 yards, but its a different game when busting rocks or hitting steel versus trying to take game at such distances. What are your intended uses for the rifle?

Jeffvn
Old 03-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

ELR as defined by myself, for me, is 1500 yards and beyond.

Why that distance? I hunt/shoot ELR from a hide. My definition of a hide is a nice comfy spot with great terrain, comfortable prone shooting spot with great all around visibility. Most importantly located near elk habitat.

In other words, the hide is pretty much like my basement floor for solid shooting position. I hunt/shoot from these hides year round. I know what I'm doing there. I'm accustomed to the wind at various times of the year.

Having said all that, caliber/cartridge is not as important as being able to confidently place the shot. It's all about consistent accuracy, bc, time of flight, impact velocity/energy and bullet terminal performance.

It goes without saying that as distance increases the heavier the bullet the better. The 338 caliber in a Berger 300 grain offering, in my estimation is minimum for ELR.

Cartridge wise, I feel the 338 RUM is a bit on the small side. Too much time of flight and too high mid range trajectory. The Lapua and Edge is only a bit better. The Terminator, as in Broz's rig, is solidly in the great choice area. The really big ones, 408 based top that. However, bulk, shoot ability and portability come into play with those big heavy suckers as I can attest from messing with ma "Big Girl".

As JE says "Unless you intend to shoot over 1500 yards all will do the job." I'll add "if you can reliably place your shot."

Oh, and ELR shooting has more to do with the shooter than the rig being shot. That is assuming all rigs are created equal.