Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

338 Lapua weight vs. performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 338 Lapua weight vs. performance

That's what I was thinking 406. I am gunna go a different rout and make my 338 a lil heavier to make it a dedicated ELR stick! Thanks again for the help! Any thoughts on the AR-30 platform?
Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

I feel that you should keep the rifle at 13lbs or more. I am in the school of thought that you should get stronger and build endurance to meet with whatever physical demands you may face. I am not saying that to downgrade you (could have medical problems, short suspense on a hunt, numerous other reasons). But I think hunters would enjoy a hunt more if they had a physical goal and worked toward it so they would not be sucking on the hunt. Not to mention you would feel better, live longer, and have a better standard of living. Plus with the extra biceps you could really swing the 15lb 338 LM to get a proper lead at running game!

Once again not down grading anyone. Physical strength and stamina is not spoken about much on here when it is definitely a contributing factor to a successful hunt. And I think you should prepare your mind and body as much as you prepare your equipment. Which if hunters did that they would be physical freaks of nature.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iden View Post
Thanks again for the help! Any thoughts on the AR-30 platform?
Not too familiar with it, but this is what I found.

Ar-30
Old 01-22-2014, 12:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iden View Post
I am in the process of stepping up to the 338 class, but I am having trouble deciding on the weight of rifle I should build! My first thought was to have a light rifle to be able to pack with. Now I am having second thoughts about the weight. I have read enough on this sight to know that as a rule of thumb weight helps with long range accuracy. So my question is, would making a 338 lapua light enough to pack take away from the caliber's potential at ELR?

Iden
weight in a long range rifle with large caliber is nice, but not necessary. Just finished shooting a mile (1760 yards) with my Savage 111 LRH in 338 Lapua. Its a super light rifle. Perhaps a heavier rifle wouldve made it easier, but it doesnt mean its not do able. 1 mile shot with 338 Lapua Magnum - YouTube

Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

The caliber is capable of doing it in any weight configuration...its just that once you start to really stretch its' legs the heavier platforms make it alot easier by reducing recoil and shooter errors. When shooting a light rifle or even bow for that matter every shooter movement is amplified and impacts the shot accordingly.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Bronze Member

I definitely agree on the fact that the caliber alone is very capable! I am just wondering if there is a border line between weight and performance when talking ELR. I guess it all boils down to the shooter. But then again I find myself wondering if a guy or gal is stacking odds against them selfs if they go below a certain weight of rifle.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I definatley think that your hedging your bets by going heavier over lighter..the way I look at it is if I plan on covering a ton of country and being in the brush I take my 12 # rifle.

If I am going to be setting up in a known ambush location I'll take the 16# rifle and a thermos.

Besides dosn't everyone need another rifle!!!