Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

338 Lapua AI shooting paper plates from 2350

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 338 Lapua AI shooting paper plates from 2350

I'm at 106 in my limp. My velocities aren't up where the OP's are with 105. I haven't seen pressure but figure I'm close. My improved is about as short necked as you dare take it, so probably a bit more room.

I am really impressed with RL 33 so far... I cronies my 106/300 otm load one evening at 2981 with an ES of 3, it was 85 degrees. Sat morning I cronied it at 2981 and the ES was 1, it was 54 degrees. Sunday morning I took my cousin out to shoot it at rocks. We started at 1,826 and ended at 2606 yards. The drops matched good using a .433 g7@ 2990. The temp was 44-47 while we were there. As far as precision goes..... I don't recall ever being more impressed.

Tom
Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom m. View Post
I'm at 106 in my limp. My velocities aren't up where the OP's are with 105. I haven't seen pressure but figure I'm close. My improved is about as short necked as you dare take it, so probably a bit more room.

I am really impressed with RL 33 so far... I cronies my 106/300 otm load one evening at 2981 with an ES of 3, it was 85 degrees. Sat morning I cronied it at 2981 and the ES was 1, it was 54 degrees. Sunday morning I took my cousin out to shoot it at rocks. We started at 1,826 and ended at 2606 yards. The drops matched good using a .433 g7@ 2990. The temp was 44-47 while we were there. As far as precision goes..... I don't recall ever being more impressed.

Tom

Well, that's some good info! Thanks. I really hope it is the powder for me too. Seems like some guys might be getting a bit more fps out of VVN570. There's a post here somewhere by JeffVN to that effect.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

Check this out: 338 Allen Xpress, RL33 load development

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 09-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
BMcKell,

I shoot a 338 AX (lap imp) and just got in a few pounds of RL 33 and had settled, not having read this thread, at 105g as well. I am going to drop down from there as this is too hot for this barrel. Something weird happned to this barrel since I shot it last spring and loads that were fine last spring show too much pressure now. The chrono was showing me an ave mv. of just about 2996 with this load, but this barrel seems to have suddenly lost speed while showing increased pressure. What kind of pressure signs are you seeing at 105?

Also, have you done any testing with temp sensitivity with RL 33 yet? There a discussion going on about RL33 in Lap Imps over on longrangeonly.com that might interest you.
I was getting great accuracy and velocity with the 33 but too much mv variation from day to day temp changes. I would work up a load in 70's weather with very little resistance in the bolt lift and shoot it another day in high 80's weather and im blowing primers. That was my experience with it. Results may vary with other setups but I have since switched to retumbo. I will keep watching to see what results other people have. I would have done more testing with it but the huntswere getting too close and I didn't have time to screw around. I went with 98 grains retumbo and got 3000 fps. I got a friend set up with my rifle to kill a great 6x6 bull saturday morning from 1046 yards. I will test more when the hunts are over. I just needed a good safe load and quick.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
BMcKell,

I shoot a 338 AX (lap imp) and just got in a few pounds of RL 33 and had settled, not having read this thread, at 105g as well. I am going to drop down from there as this is too hot for this barrel. Something weird happned to this barrel since I shot it last spring and loads that were fine last spring show too much pressure now. The chrono was showing me an ave mv. of just about 2996 with this load, but this barrel seems to have suddenly lost speed while showing increased pressure. What kind of pressure signs are you seeing at 105?

Also, have you done any testing with temp sensitivity with RL 33 yet? There a discussion going on about RL33 in Lap Imps over on longrangeonly.com that might interest you.
Sounds to me like carbon in the throat. That always seems to drive up pressures. Was there a big temperature change? Really big loads of slow burning powder can build carbon very quickly in the throat. Usually pressure increases and accuracy can suffer. Matt