Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

338 Lapua AI shooting paper plates from 2350

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: 338 Lapua AI shooting paper plates from 2350

BMcKell:

Please clarify...

In your original post you state, "...I tried a couple shots at paper plates from 2350. ...Posted is a three shot group using 300 gr SMK's and reloader 33 that I shot laying prone before trying the plates."

The target with presumably the threeshot group - at what distance did you shoot that group? [BTW, under magnification, to me it looks like two shots, not three. If three, one shot would have had to have gone directly thru the center of one of the prior shots - note where the two shots overlap. Or only two of the three shots are visible in the photo. Those are my observations from the photo provided.]

It is impossible for me to tell the size of the two white objects, or what they are, in the video. Are those the "paper plates"? If so, their diameter, please.

While I note the audio "hit", did you retrieve the plate to confirm? Again, for me. impossible to confirm from the video. Pic please.

Both white targets appear quite reflective. Coated? I too have a Terrapin and would find it quite difficult to hold it well enough on such a small object to range it. Were they coated or was the ranging done using a nearby object?

Finally, what was used to take the video?

Thanks!
Not a commercial business.
ELR...anything shorter is point blank!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

What I took from the post was that the three shot group was fired at 100 yards and then he moved to the long range shooting and put two shots down range.

Also, assume he just ranged the rock formation the targets were sitting on for his range measurement.

Does the Terrapin not have a tripod mount? Mounting a rangefinder on a tripod greatly increases its accuracy on small targets. I am with you, freehand, I could never hold on that small of a target but off a supported position I would think it would be pretty easy to hold on the rock formation the targets are sitting on.

Do not want to speak for the OP but this is just what I took from the post personally.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

good shooting! I assume no wind (dialed for spin drift and coriolis)? That would be one bugger of a wind dope if there was even a light breeze at that distance!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR Researcher View Post
BMcKell:

Please clarify...

In your original post you state, "...I tried a couple shots at paper plates from 2350. ...Posted is a three shot group using 300 gr SMK's and reloader 33 that I shot laying prone before trying the plates."

The target with presumably the threeshot group - at what distance did you shoot that group? [BTW, under magnification, to me it looks like two shots, not three. If three, one shot would have had to have gone directly thru the center of one of the prior shots - note where the two shots overlap. Or only two of the three shots are visible in the photo. Those are my observations from the photo provided.]

It is impossible for me to tell the size of the two white objects, or what they are, in the video. Are those the "paper plates"? If so, their diameter, please.

While I note the audio "hit", did you retrieve the plate to confirm? Again, for me. impossible to confirm from the video. Pic please.

Both white targets appear quite reflective. Coated? I too have a Terrapin and would find it quite difficult to hold it well enough on such a small object to range it. Were they coated or was the ranging done using a nearby object?

Finally, what was used to take the video?

Thanks!
It feels a little bit like I'm on trial here, but here goes. I shot a three shot group from 100 yards and chronographed and zeroed my rifle. It was indeed a three shot group. Then I fired two shots at cheap 9 inch paper plates with nothing shiney applied to them that were placed on those rocks a previous day. There was no wind and I was dialed 3.5 moa left for spin drift and coriolis but then a slight breeze came from my right and I took one moa out of it for that. I believe I was dialed up 80 moa. I ranged them with a terrapin that I laid over my range bag to steady it. It was video taped by my 15 year old son using a panasonic camcorder that has 78 times optical zoom +300 digital. I believe it was at about 180x zoom for the video. My boy called hit when he saw the plate flip up. I did not hike up there to check the damage. It's too far and I'm too old. There was no funny business in the making of this video. What you see is actually what happened and nothing else.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

I took a picture today through my Leica APO Televid 77. There is black tape holding the plate to the rock and there appears to be a hole in the bottom left of the upper plate when I zoom in. If I get ambitious I will hike up and see.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
338 Lapua AI shooting paper plates from 2350-20130902_174118.jpg  
Old 09-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

some good shooting my 338lm should be finished very soon the hole gun is built i just have no stock.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

BMcKell,

I shoot a 338 AX (lap imp) and just got in a few pounds of RL 33 and had settled, not having read this thread, at 105g as well. I am going to drop down from there as this is too hot for this barrel. Something weird happned to this barrel since I shot it last spring and loads that were fine last spring show too much pressure now. The chrono was showing me an ave mv. of just about 2996 with this load, but this barrel seems to have suddenly lost speed while showing increased pressure. What kind of pressure signs are you seeing at 105?

Also, have you done any testing with temp sensitivity with RL 33 yet? There a discussion going on about RL33 in Lap Imps over on longrangeonly.com that might interest you.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl