Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

.338 ELR-capable projectiles, side-by-side

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

Re: .338 ELR-capable projectiles, side-by-side

Not to be a jerk but...... Won't this "test" just tell us what bullet your barrel/load combo likes? Those are all quality bullets and I would hate to see one of them be called the "worst" bullet just because that one or even two barrels didn't like them. The hard part of testing bullets is just getting enough down range in enough different barrels, chamberings, conditions to make the data usefull. The berger 300 is a great example, they did a bunch of testing and still got the first batch wrong. If you shot 1000 of each in 10 different barrels with different muzzle velocities then maybe.... I am just guessing no one really wants to spend that large amount of money/time for a less than exact answer in the end. I guess any data can help I just worry that it could be misleading.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylabs View Post
Not to be a jerk but...... Won't this "test" just tell us what bullet your barrel/load combo likes? Those are all quality bullets and I would hate to see one of them be called the "worst" bullet just because that one or even two barrels didn't like them. The hard part of testing bullets is just getting enough down range in enough different barrels, chamberings, conditions to make the data usefull. The berger 300 is a great example, they did a bunch of testing and still got the first batch wrong. If you shot 1000 of each in 10 different barrels with different muzzle velocities then maybe.... I am just guessing no one really wants to spend that large amount of money/time for a less than exact answer in the end. I guess any data can help I just worry that it could be misleading.
LL...

Seems some confusion.

The pic was posted to display the projectiles side-by-side, for visual comparison. My focus is not to do the research (a Jimmie Sloan-type development effort) that you describe but to find out what works with my rifle and my various barrels. I have to set it up one way or another and what I described is where I am starting. I have neither the resources nor time to "research" projectile vs projectile in any "globally" good or bad sense, only test what I have accumulated using my gear.

Very sorry to have led anyone astray.
Not a commercial business.
ELR...anything shorter is point blank!
Old 12-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Gold Member

ELR... that makes sense. I was probably off track. Good luck with your development.