Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

338 Edge on bull elk 1435

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: 338 Edge on bull elk 1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Camilleri View Post
Great shot and nice story. What is the twist on your barrel? I am getting very good expansion from my 338 otm's with a 9.3 twist and running almost the same velocity as yours.
Projectile RPM & throat condition could well have an impact on terminal performance results.

A friend has my original Edge, 1-9 twist, it has had a lot of rounds through it & is still shooting very well.

It's terminal performance with the OTM is way ahead of my 338 Terminator/Lapua improved with its 1-10 SG barrel, even though it has another 100+ fps on the Edge.

Another friend has a 338 with similar velocity to mine with a 10 twist & his terminal performance mirrors mine with the 338 OTM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

My barrel is a 1-10 twist. I also would not say any throat problems. I have 300-350 rounds through it.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Nice shot. You don't hit them with the first round at that range by accident. You may need another range finder if you step on out any further!

I've observed three bullet hits that failed to expand and failed to tumble over the years on harvested animals, but all three hits were at less that 325 yds, so perhaps the tumbling is more apt to occur at reduced impact velocities? Dunno...
Old 11-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Nice shot. You don't hit them with the first round at that range by accident. You may need another range finder if you step on out any further!

I've observed three bullet hits that failed to expand and failed to tumble over the years on harvested animals, but all three hits were at less that 325 yds, so perhaps the tumbling is more apt to occur at reduced impact velocities? Dunno...

Thank you. I am going to trade my rangefinder up soon. But will get the trimble nomad at the same time.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:40 AM

Great shot! And sounds like an awesome hunt. I would love to try an elk hunt like that someday.
With the bullet I'm wondering if since the tip broke off and left a fairly flat surface if it killed by blunt force trauma in a way similar to a hard cast wadcutter out of a handgun. It could explain caliber hole in and out with plenty of damage in the middle. Or is it actually tumbling? Just something I'm pondering.
Either way great job on the hunt!

Kyle
Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroberts View Post
Great shot! And sounds like an awesome hunt. I would love to try an elk hunt like that someday.
With the bullet I'm wondering if since the tip broke off and left a fairly flat surface if it killed by blunt force trauma in a way similar to a hard cast wadcutter out of a handgun. It could explain caliber hole in and out with plenty of damage in the middle. Or is it actually tumbling? Just something I'm pondering.
Either way great job on the hunt!

Kyle

Thank you kyle, I am not sure if it was tumbling or not. I guess there is no way for me to know.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 AM
Gold Member

Great shooting and great story. I noticed you said you are going to upgrade your rangefinder soon. I am in the process of deciding what rf I'm going with. The g7 is very tempting and I'm having a hard time deciding between that and the terrapin. I already run a ballistic program and the terrapin isn't that much more $. The g7 worked great for you obviously but I still find myself favoring the terrapin simply because everyone says for ranging its flat out the best. So I was just curious why you felt the need to upgrade your rangefinder?