close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

Reply

338 EDGE AI 2153 yds

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #8  
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:09 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 953
Re: 338 EDGE AI 2153 yds

i can see the pics. good shooting.

question. why do you have your speeds so slow? i figured the AI would get you to 2850ish? were you getting pressure up there or no accuracy?

good shooting and good luck this season!
Reply With Quote
  •   #9  
    Unread 10-15-2013, 08:00 AM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2013
    Posts: 912
    Re: 338 EDGE AI 2153 yds

    2100 is a loooooong way. Nice shooting and I like the color of your Vectronix!
    __________________
    Shoot CONFIDENT, Shoot SMART, Shoot STRAIGHT
    Reply With Quote

      #10  
    Unread 10-15-2013, 07:50 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Location: West Texas
    Posts: 531
    Re: 338 EDGE AI 2153 yds

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lovdasnow View Post
    i can see the pics. good shooting.

    question. why do you have your speeds so slow? i figured the AI would get you to 2850ish? were you getting pressure up there or no accuracy?

    good shooting and good luck this season!
    Thanks, well up until here recently I have never had a chrono worth a crap, but now I have a magneto speed 2. So most of my loads are chosen by how they shoot at 300 or 400 yards. So my old chrono has led me to beleive I have been getting 2915fps with 93.5 grs, and 93.5 was my most accurate load at .040 jump. At 97.5 grs I get a slight ejector mark. Now that I just formed 200 rds of brass and have a good chrono I may do some more load development to see if I can find an accurate load with some more velocity. I also think I have a slow bbl, buts that's fine long as the accuracy is there.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
    2100 is a loooooong way. Nice shooting and I like the color of your Vectronix!
    Thanks, man the way that unit performs I wouldn't care if it was puke yellow lol.
    __________________
    " Long distance shooting is an art, often meaning something you have mastered through innate aptitude or long range practice versus a simple application of science" .................Jeff Hoffman
    Reply With Quote
      #11  
    Unread 10-17-2013, 12:24 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: Fort Shaw, Montana
    Posts: 6,841
    Re: 338 EDGE AI 2153 yds

    2100 yards is some serious range for sure, good shooting!

    I was also a bit curious about your velocities, they seem really low. In a standard 338 Edge, in a 30" barrel, most often you will see average velocities in the 2850 fps range pretty comfortably, some will easily push 2900 fps if your alright with dropping case life by a couple firings on each case.

    Now, the improved version of the 338 Edge will not gain a lot in performance. The RUM case is pretty well improved as is, sharpening the shoulder angle will not offer much as far as case capacity increase. What it can do is control case stretching better with top pressure loads but you may also see some extraction issues at very top end pressures as well. As long as your case body taper is more then around 11 thou per inch, you should have no problems, less then this and you will probably see some sticky extraction with the chamber getting a bit dirty.

    The velocity you were thinking you were getting with your old chrono seems more realistic then the 2780 fps your getting now. That said, a 97.5 gr load seems pretty high as well.

    In the end, what are your trajectories telling you your velocity is at? What numbers did you need to use to get on target with your drops at 2100 yards? That will mean more then anything.

    Good shooting!!!
    __________________
    Kirby Allen(50)

    Allen Precision Shooting
    Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

    Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

    Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

    allenmagnum@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote
      #12  
    Unread 10-17-2013, 08:07 PM
    Gold Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Location: West Texas
    Posts: 531
    Re: 338 EDGE AI 2153 yds

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
    2100 yards is some serious range for sure, good shooting!

    I was also a bit curious about your velocities, they seem really low. In a standard 338 Edge, in a 30" barrel, most often you will see average velocities in the 2850 fps range pretty comfortably, some will easily push 2900 fps if your alright with dropping case life by a couple firings on each case.

    Now, the improved version of the 338 Edge will not gain a lot in performance. The RUM case is pretty well improved as is, sharpening the shoulder angle will not offer much as far as case capacity increase. What it can do is control case stretching better with top pressure loads but you may also see some extraction issues at very top end pressures as well. As long as your case body taper is more then around 11 thou per inch, you should have no problems, less then this and you will probably see some sticky extraction with the chamber getting a bit dirty.

    The velocity you were thinking you were getting with your old chrono seems more realistic then the 2780 fps your getting now. That said, a 97.5 gr load seems pretty high as well.

    In the end, what are your trajectories telling you your velocity is at? What numbers did you need to use to get on target with your drops at 2100 yards? That will mean more then anything.

    Good shooting!!!
    Thanks for joining in Kirby.

    Going off the drops bullet flight tells me that my velocity is 2793 fps. But I am not using bergers advertised BC of .814 . Going off the actual trajectory's out past 2000 yards and many ranges in between (validated out to 1500 yards) using a stepped BC and a velocity of 2740fps

    I have used this same chrono on my 338 Allen Mag with the bergers, I got 3245fps with 142gr of h50bmg seated .010 off the lands.

    Speaking of, soon as I fix my ring issue I am going to be sending some lead past 2500 yards and see what happens.
    __________________
    " Long distance shooting is an art, often meaning something you have mastered through innate aptitude or long range practice versus a simple application of science" .................Jeff Hoffman
    Reply With Quote
      #13  
    Unread 10-18-2013, 06:50 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Posts: 316
    Re: 338 EDGE AI 2153 yds

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post

    As long as your case body taper is more then around 11 thou per inch, you should have no problems, less then this and you will probably see some sticky extraction with the chamber getting a bit dirty.
    Interesting since:

    The 6.5 CM has a taper of: .00724 per inch.

    Reading Ackley books he even suggests even less taper per inch as a minimum (memory escapes me at the moment as to the exact amount).

    Could your experience be because: The the brass used, rough chamber, or that you are using brass that has roughly twice as long of a case body?

    I say this because I read everything I could find (including your impressive body of work) and compared allot of cases when designing my wildcats. I'd be happy to share my spreadsheets that I used for comparative analysis with anyone interested.
    Reply With Quote
      #14  
    Unread 10-18-2013, 09:16 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: Fort Shaw, Montana
    Posts: 6,841
    Re: 338 EDGE AI 2153 yds

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CA48 View Post
    Thanks for joining in Kirby.

    Going off the drops bullet flight tells me that my velocity is 2793 fps. But I am not using bergers advertised BC of .814 . Going off the actual trajectory's out past 2000 yards and many ranges in between (validated out to 1500 yards) using a stepped BC and a velocity of 2740fps

    I have used this same chrono on my 338 Allen Mag with the bergers, I got 3245fps with 142gr of h50bmg seated .010 off the lands.

    Speaking of, soon as I fix my ring issue I am going to be sending some lead past 2500 yards and see what happens.
    The big girl will do it for you out past 2500 yards!!!

    When your brass wears out, next round we need to use the new Bertram brass, has been giving us a solid 75 fps more velocity with same case life.
    __________________
    Kirby Allen(50)

    Allen Precision Shooting
    Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

    Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

    Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

    allenmagnum@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC