Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

338 Allen Magnum at +1 mile

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: 338 Allen Magnum at +1 mile

Dang Kirby you are makeing it evan harder to wait for the one I have ordered from you! What is your altitude? Do you think there will be much velocity gain at 7000 + feet, where most all of my shooting will be? Thanks Storm
Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by new shooter View Post
Kirby you have had this 338 AM out for about 5 +years so what is the life of the barrel at a vel. 3358. Thanks Joe
Oh, the 5 million dollar question.....

Accuracy life at this performance level. I can say in all honesty, barrel life in the 338 Allen Magnum is much more dependent on how the rifle is used and cared for then anything else. Yes this chambering is hard on barrels, no way around it, you can not put 145 to 150 grains of powder down the bore without some wear.

Still, if a 338 AM is limited to three shot strings and allowed to cool between strings, cleaned often properly, you will see on average 800-900 rounds and if your really careful with the barrel, 1000-1100 rounds of accurate barrel life.

Last I checked I have around 70 of my XHS rifles out in the field. Of those about 70% are 338 AMs and 30% are 375 AMs. Of all those, I have had 5 rifles returned that had legit barrel wear problems and three of those are in shop right now that just need to be rebarreled and shipped back out the door.

Please keep in mind that the cost of a complete new barrel installation is around $1200. That's new fluted 32" stainless steel barrel, complete machining of barrel and installation on receiver, install muzzle brake and bead blast matte finish barreled receiver.

So for roughly the cost of a new factory Remington Sendero purchased at any local sporting good store, you basically have a brand new 338 AM for 1/4 the original price of the rifle. Certainly not saying this is cheap but for the performance level you get, its not all that bad to pay $1200 and get the most potent 338 magnum back in brand new condition.

I would also like to state that the 338 Allen Magnum is not a do it all rifle. Its a very specialized weapon system. I talk 10 times more customers out of 338 Allen Magnum rifles then I build for customers simply because in 90% of the time, there are better choices out there for the goals that the customer has for the rifle.

Generally, when I recommend a 338 AM, it is to a customer that already has a medium performance level rifle and has a good amount of experience out to 1000 yards. The 338 AM was really designed for use from 1/2 mile out and especially at ranges PAST 1000 yards. In all honesty, most have no use for a rifle with this performance level and if that is the case, the rifle is really a novelty item. Now, nothing wrong with that, I have two 50 BMG rifles that are pretty much novelty items, that's what makes our sport so fun, we do not NEED them, we want them but I do try to stress to potential customers that these are extremely specialized weapon systems and not high volume shooting platforms.

Used as they are intended, they will last a very long time. If they are abused or heated up and continue shooting, you can burn out a throat in as little as 100 rounds. Take care of them and keep them cool and you will get 10 times that many down the pipe. There is a price for performance and you can not get totally around that.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingblizzard View Post
Dang Kirby you are makeing it evan harder to wait for the one I have ordered from you! What is your altitude? Do you think there will be much velocity gain at 7000 + feet, where most all of my shooting will be? Thanks Storm
I am at 3400 ft, you will see a noticeable decrease in drop at your elevation and may need a slight load tweaking but you will see better performance then I am seeing at my elevation.

I am very sorry for the long wait, its been a hard year with this mess that was started in Washington early in the year but working hard to keep projects heading out the door. My main goal is that when you get your rifle, you never think twice about the wait!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Silver Member

wyomingblizzard
I had a wait on a 338AX. Every min is worth it. When you pull the trigger for the firstime and it feels like perfection.

Iv got 3 of Kirbys guns now and wanting more.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfr4570 View Post
wyomingblizzard
I had a wait on a 338AX. Every min is worth it. When you pull the trigger for the firstime and it feels like perfection.

Iv got 3 of Kirbys guns now and wanting more.
Thank you for your kind words. I do know the wait can be a serious PITA but I do my best to make sure that when the rifle arrives, the wait is forgotten.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Gold Member

I know powder is a tough market now but when stock comes available N570 may be worth the effort to try in the 338. Any plans?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
I know powder is a tough market now but when stock comes available N570 may be worth the effort to try in the 338. Any plans?
It may be a great powder in the 338 Allen Xpress which is an improved version of the 338 Lapua. That said, it will fall on its face in the 338 Allen Magnum.

With the 338 Lapua Improved your talking about a usible powder charges in the 100 to 107 gr range depending on throat length. Again, this is using a conventional throat and leade angle.

The 338 AM has a full 50% larger powder charge. It will take 145 to 150 grains of powder under each 300 gr berger. That is FAR out of the relm of N570s burn rate. While it may be magical in the smaller 338s, maybe even possibly my 338 Raptor with its 125-130 gr powder charge size, it will not work with the huge 338 AMs capacity.

Another reason I know that is because the best all around powder I have tested in the 338 AM, and I have tested IMR-5010, RL50, VV20N29, US869, WC578, WC860 and WC872. The best I have tested is H-50BMG for all around use. Great velocity, great consistency, great stability over temp changes, relatively easy to get, decent price.

Some powders produce a bit more velocity, some powders are more affordable but none of the listed powders are as good all around.

That said, H-50BMG pressures out at around a 93-95% load densities. H-50BMG is slower in burn rate then N570 so it would pressure out even faster then H-50BMG with less powder which means gas volume will not be as high, which means velocity will drop off compared to H-50BMG. Not to mention, its a powder that is pretty much a ghost, a myth, a rumor here in the US and when you do run into it, its $50 a lb.

Not saying its a bad powder or that it is not amazing in the right application, that application however is not in the 338 Allen Magnum. In the 338 Allen Xpress however, yes it will be very impressive but from what I am hearing, I am going to try RL33 first and from what I am hearing, it will do 99% of what N570 will do with much less cost.

We will see.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com