Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

300 Berger or 300 SMK for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: 300 Berger or 300 SMK for hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrcan View Post

I have ordered a new barrel, same as this one, but with a 1:9 twist. Lothar Walter, SS, Match, 32" long and 1.10 inches at the muzzle. It will not be ready until december, and then the hunt is over.

Thanks for your input guys, it is allways a pleasure
The 1-9 twist should enhance terminal performance with the gain in RPM.

My original Edge with its 1-9 & plenty of rounds through it pushes the OTMs very well for the current owner & their terminal performance is superb even on our small Sika Deer out to 1000+, they are being pushed fairly hard

1.10" at the muzzle would make my 375s look like soda straws
Old 08-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Bronze Member

Hehe, it is a heavy rifle, it weighs 32 lbs including the silencer. When using the Vektor muzzle brake, it kicks like a 223, and I can easily spot myself and see the trace when I shoot at 500 meters and out.

I really like it, but would be awsome to have a bit more power. My next barrel will be chambered in 338LM Imp, and throated for 300 grs OTM/Elite Hunter. Will be the one and only here in Norway
Old 08-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrcan View Post
Hehe, it is a heavy rifle, it weighs 32 lbs including the silencer. When using the Vektor muzzle brake, it kicks like a 223, and I can easily spot myself and see the trace when I shoot at 500 meters and out.

I really like it, but would be awsome to have a bit more power. My next barrel will be chambered in 338LM Imp, and throated for 300 grs OTM/Elite Hunter. Will be the one and only here in Norway
LOL that is heavy, recoil wouldn't be an issue un braked or suppressed.

I was getting close to 3100 with my 338 LM Imp with 33" barrel

N570 made it go very well, it is back to 3030 now, getting old but it still shoots mint
Old 08-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Bronze Member

Oohhh, that is sweet. If I can get close to 3100 fps, I can probably shoot at my 2860 meter target, which is out of reach now
We have big limitations regarding big bore calibers in Norway, and 375 CT and such are hard to get legal. So a pumped up 338 is the way to go, and so far, I have shot it with success out to 2200 meters.

I won the Norwegian 600 yard UNL Championships with my 338LM this year, it has been a very accurate rifle, with 300 grs Scenar. I have 42 reloadings on my Lapua and Norma brass, using a FL Redding die, my chamber is real tight. Less than 1/100 mm difference on a fired cartridge and a full sized one. Hope the chamber in the Imp will be the same, it is the same smith, so maybe

I was in NZ in 2001 and hunted deer, the guide was not very pro, but I shot a doe in the end, using a 30-30 win with open sights. The original hunting rifle came apart the forst day of hunting. I did not bring my own rifle as I was there on other business. This was on the north island, 3 hours from the ferry. Do not remember the name of the place, but there was some caves with Glow worms, Waitomo or something. Hunting from the horseback was great, cowboy style ;)

Would like to take a new trip, using my own rifle, and shooting a big red stag. Maybe someday.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

At your velocity range, the SMK will offer more consistant expansion at ranges over 800 yards and especially at ranges over 1000 yards compared to the OTM. As mentioned the Gen 1 or hybrid hunter may offer a bit more expansion consistency but the OTM is a harder bullet.

I use them in my 338 Allen Magnum as the standard bullet and have never seen any problems with expansion out to well past 1500 yards but that is with 500-600 fps more velocity at hand which makes a big difference.

The 300 gr SMK has lost a bit of SEXINESS with the long range crowd but its still a very potent bullet choice, especially for big game hunting at long range.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for your input, Kirby, I am convinced the 300 SMK is my bullet of choice.
I have loaded up some ammo, and test shot it out to 1250 meters. Mv is 2933 fps, using 96 grs of Viht N570. That is not too bad.

Will test some more tomorrow, and try to film some hits at long range. Hunting season starts next sunday, with a bag limit of 52 red deer. I will try to get some kills on video this year.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

At that velocity you will get very impressive terminal performance for sure!!!

Have fun.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com