Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

1275 coyote with the old with 215 bergers

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 1275 coyote with the old with 215 bergers

Jeff, I dont have any first hand data but the effects of a tumbling bullet are heavily documented by the military. Mostly on the 62 grain fmj's shot from the 5.56 and the SMK (dont recall the weight) shot from the 308 winchester. I will do some searching and post some links to some of the data on tumbling bullets.

But because 308winlongrange found fragment in the yote that disproves my theory about the 215 grain hybrid not expanding and only tumbling. It could be possible that the fragment he found was from the tip of the bullet that blew off much like in Rich's (elkaholic) tests. I will do some searching and post some links to

Riley

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Jeff, I dont have any first hand data
Ok Thanks Riley. No need to post links for me. I have seen some of what you are referring to. Mostly about tumbling before entry.

As for the small pieces being from the tip like Rich's did. It is my opinion that was due to being pressurized and blown off from the water. But either way a 4" exit is a 4" exit and this was at a very low velocity. I just don't feel a non-expanding bullet, even if tumbling would make a 4" exit.

None the less I think we owe it to the OP to stop the hijack of his thread.

.308win, to take 2 yotes with a combined yardage of 2382 yards, 1.35 miles. Is something to be proud of. I took one at 1200 and another at 1156. I know what those little suckers look like in the scope at that distance and how the trigger needs to be broke to make a connection. Great shooting man.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
None the less I think we owe it to the OP to stop the hijack of his thread.
yes, i agree, sorry 308winlongrange and again, awesome shooting.

Riley

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

What's your muzzle velocity at the barrel?
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!