Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR)

Extreme Long Range Hunting & Shooting (ELR) Over 1,000 Yds.

1000 yard nikon bdc shot with a .308?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 PM

1000 yard nikon bdc shot with a .308?

Has anyone taken a thousand yard shot with a Nikon bdc on a .308? No I need a 20 moa mount? I'm using a Remington 700 26" bull barrel and a Nikon buckmaster 6-18x40 with 1/8 moa. Any advise will help thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 1000 yard nikon bdc shot with a .308?

I personally have not but would like to offer my .02 if I could...

I see more shooters/hunters going toward this trend of BDC knobs and the like. I AM NOT SAYING these cannot or will not work under set conditions but I would urge you to develop the skills to use a regular scope ret (milradian or MOA) and marked turrets for adjust your scope. You can find a scope like these for approx the same price as a Nikon.

My reasoning is this... There is a very slim change you will repeatedly shoot with the exact same enviro effects. All which play into overall bullet to target "drop". So lets say one day the cloudes part and the sun raises your ambient temp up 20* with all other factors staying the same (which is rare)

Example:

175 SMK out of a 308 @ say 2600fps
32*
50% hum
200 ft Alt
No wind

sitting at +14.9 mil

Now all same factors accept the temp is now 52* would leave you at +14.4mil

So a difference of .5 mil (98.35 inches) at 1000 meters based on alittle sun!

I dont know about you but it would be disappointing to miss and Elk, Bear ect or even worse just clip them instead of spending alittle more time with platform which will be extremely fruitful for you in many reasons.

Again, I mention this not so much towards the OP but from a fellow shooter who recognizes a trend the does not ulitmately help build a true understanding of the (our) surroundings as responsible shooters and hunters!

Enjoy!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Gold Member

Nikon makes a program called SpotOn. Get it. It will help. You may have to sight in at a longer distance than normal.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGE541 View Post
I personally have not but would like to offer my .02 if I could...

I see more shooters/hunters going toward this trend of BDC knobs and the like. I AM NOT SAYING these cannot or will not work under set conditions but I would urge you to develop the skills to use a regular scope ret (milradian or MOA) and marked turrets for adjust your scope. You can find a scope like these for approx the same price as a Nikon.

My reasoning is this... There is a very slim change you will repeatedly shoot with the exact same enviro effects. All which play into overall bullet to target "drop". So lets say one day the cloudes part and the sun raises your ambient temp up 20* with all other factors staying the same (which is rare)

Example:

175 SMK out of a 308 @ say 2600fps
32*
50% hum
200 ft Alt
No wind

sitting at +14.9 mil

Now all same factors accept the temp is now 52* would leave you at +14.4mil

So a difference of .5 mil (98.35 inches) at 1000 meters based on alittle sun!

I dont know about you but it would be disappointing to miss and Elk, Bear ect or even worse just clip them instead of spending alittle more time with platform which will be extremely fruitful for you in many reasons.

Again, I mention this not so much towards the OP but from a fellow shooter who recognizes a trend the does not ulitmately help build a true understanding of the (our) surroundings as responsible shooters and hunters!

Enjoy!
I'm new to this but .5 mil is 18 inches at 1000 yards. 98.5 inches would be extreme for a 20 deg difference in temps.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Bronze Member

I do apologize I entered this on my phone and sometimes it "auto corrects" things it shouldn't. Maybe they should name in "auto-INcorrect" lol

The stated distance was @ 1000 meters, not 1000 yards. At 1000meter the impact would be a difference of 19.685" @1000m. I would not hesitate to say that with a 308 that is fairly reasonable. (Granted at 1000m the adv 308 would be at/in/near transonic region dep onon the data supplied.) The larger idea behind this post was simply to bring to light some options that shooters have that may greatly impact their shooting success and desire to go farther into shooting in the future.

Enjoy

Last edited by BGE541; 01-28-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 PM

OK so a thousand yards might be out of the question. I do have spot on app for my phone. I'm looking at making a thousand yard shot on a 2 foot by 2 foot target just to see if I can do it I was told that most scope will run out of (clicks) before you get a thousand yards.I havnt done the math yet or finished perfecting my hand loads. I don't plan on trying this another on any animals its just for fun.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Bronze Member

Ok so I would run the data and see how much elev you need. Then go on nikons website and see how much elev your scope offers you. From your zero you can count clicks til your scope is as elevated as it will go and see if that will get you too 1k. If not go with a 20 moa base and call it good!

Let me know what you come up with.