Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Wolves gone wild.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wolves gone wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamphunter View Post
Thinkin if a guy is sittin on his back porch and seein 30 deer there are to many deer.
I have read some of your other posts on the wolf issue and it seems to me, that you would rather see 30 wolves than 30 deer. You won't find others who have the same opinion as you here. If you're not a 'bloodthirsty barbarian', then maybe this isn't the forum for you.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

Should find some middle ground. Delist them and have a season on them . Judging their size, think I would shoot first and claim self defense. I understand they're difficult to hunt. North Dakota has a season on Mountain Lion . Zone 1 closes after the last quota cat is taken. The last was a young cat 35# , rancher found him on his couch, in his house. It had killed several domestic cats, 4 in the house. (see N.D. Game,fish site)
Old 12-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

See thread " Wolf Kill SE MT " pictures!!! I need a bigger gun- 300 weatherby.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:20 PM
Gold Member

I live in the middle of metro Denver and can tell you the soccer moms are very upset when a yote or lion sneeks in and nabs one of thier purse dogs. The problem is since the wolves are not in a metro area where the masses get negetive exposure to them we have to fight the up hill voting battle. I think it would be a very interesting poll to run in the metro areas of feeling on lion, coyote, bear and wolf management. I would be willing to bet that most would agree to let wolves be managed the same as coyotes.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
are you kidding? first of all 30 deer from your back porch is not too many... he said his apples rot on the ground now... sounds to me like they arent going hungry. Your wolf loving liberal ideals are not going to be well recieved by most on here and by NONE of us in the states surrounding Yellowstone park where the wolves were re introduced a decade ago. I have personally seen our elk herd deminish significantly and they now reside in the bad lands because the wolves have pushed them down and out of the mountains. Maybe we are blood thirsty barbarrians... I dont really see that as a bad thing. I love to kill and eat, whats the problem?
I kill and eat too, I just don't want to wipe any animal off the face of the earth. Be happy you have the ability to hunt wolves and control their numbers, we don't have that option here in Minnesota. Yet we still kill deer, go figure.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I like Roy, hes a funny feller, this made me chuckle
It made me chuckle too
Old 12-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamphunter View Post
Thinkin if a guy is sittin on his back porch and seein 30 deer there are to many deer. They probably ate themselves out of house and home.
I feel that this is getting close to the "beaten to death" status, but I would like to ad that there are 200 elk within 1 mile of my house 400 more within 10 miles of my house and 1000+ elk within 20 miles of my house. There are 10-15 deer, depending on the day, that live in my yard, 200ish deer that live within 1 mile of my house. I live 100 yards from the highway to Gardiner so I am not in the heart of elk wintering range.
DOWN LOW NEAR CIVILIZATION IS THE ONLY PLACE THAT THE POOR ELK AND DEER CAN STAY ALIVE! To anybody who does not know the situation it appears that we are over run with elk and deer.
The mountains are comparably empty of game this time of year, and there is grass waist high everywhere.
How do you manage this situation? You give the lower 2/3 of Montana a quota of 18 wolves is how the great state of Montana does it.

I am not a wolf hater, I think they deserve a place on this Earth! On my wall, in the zoo, and 6 or 7 wolves to roam around the great Jellystone Park