Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Wolves gone wild.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wolves gone wild.

Idaho Fish and Game: Contempt, Corruption, Collusion, or Just Outright Incompetence? - Black Bear Blog
Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 AM
Silver Member

ok, so i didnt read all 11 pages, but being from Texas I may not completely understand how everything goes up there, but...Why dont you guys just handle the problem yourself. Just follow the 3 S's shoot it, shovel it, shutup about it......
Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

The effectiveness of SSS has proven a very poor strategy to deal with wolves. Their reproductive rate, range, dispersal distance, coupled with intelligence and senses makes it difficult to stabilize much less reverse population trends. It requires a kill rate of about 70% to annually to effect populations. In plain numbers for simple math for every 1000 about 700 need to die. Given tags, seasons, highways etc.. Idaho will probably top out @ 300 this year. Most folks figure there are at least 2000 on the ground. Historically, around the globe it has taken shoot on sight, traps, poison, aerial gunning, bounties, and paid professionals to reduce numbers in a meaningful way.
Texas may get their chance with the Feds opening a second southern front in Utah and points south. I don't see much posted from folks outside the northern recovery zone, what per cent of hunters out there realize another introduction is pointed at the southwest? I Guarantee you'll want it stopped before it starts!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

It would seem to me that with some variations the solution of the problem will similar to the previous solution.

My research, limited to stories, googling and limited personal experience seem to indicate that the "locals", the ones with the problem, solved it.

There were fewer people then with fewer resources. Most westerners had a horse, gun and something to protect. There results were effective to the point of attaining a livable balance. Wolves were not completely eliminated but were very infrequently seen with no observable impact from the few remaining wolves.

Any observable impacts were handled locally.

A ranchers, at that time, had the freedom to protect there own.

Many States, Idaho being one, has implemented the "Castle" doctrine. The current definition of which appears to me to be where my feet are and within the walls of my dwelling. What if, the definition were extended to, as I have implemented, my property?

On another tangent, what if, instead of adopting a section of highway for rubbish collection, some independent thinking fella or folks adopted an elk herd? Then simply set about managing predation on that elk herd to the point where the level of predation on that herd is managed to their acceptable levels.

Just thinking out loud. No evil intended.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:15 am | Updated: 3:18 am, Tue Jan 10, 2012.

By BILL BULEY/Staff writer | 5 comments

COEUR d'ALENE - Kathy Stewart calls her green van the "Wolfmobile."

She wears T-shirts and coats with pictures of wolves.

She says the wolf is her guardian.

So, the message she wanted to deliver to the Idaho Department of Fish and Game on Monday about wolves was not surprising.

"Stop killing them."

"Get education about the wolf. Don't go out and kill it because you can," she said before a candlelight vigil at Independence Point.

Stewart, joined by husband Glen wearing his wolf T-shirt, was one of about 10 people who took part in the event organized by the Northern Idaho Wolf Alliance.

They carried signs that read, "Exterminated, Endangered, Eradicated again," "No to wolf slaughter," and "The big bad wolf was framed."

One sign had a picture of a wolf, with the words, "Would you torture this?"

The vigil was "to honor 337 fallen Idaho and Montana wolves, and protest this war against wolves" on the night of "The Full Wolf Moon."

According to a press release, more than 200 of Idaho's wolves have been killed by hunters in four months.

"With IDFG's goal being to eliminate all but 150-200 wolves in the entire state, perhaps 400-500 wolves could still be in the crosshairs, and the season won't end until June 30 in some areas," the release said. "That means a 10-month long season, even hunting wolves while they are trying to raise their puppies."

Lanie Johnson of Sandpoint said wolves are critical to the ecosystem.

She said talk that wolves are dangerous to man, kill for sport and are decimating elk populations is "a myth that got started, that people have gone crazy with."

Wolves, Johnson said, are like people. They have families, they take care of their young, they stick together.

"They're very smart," she said.

Not so, said Ryan Caudill of Coeur d'Alene, who arrived at the vigil to protest the pro-wolf demonstration.

Caudill, who carried a sign that read, "Save an elk, kill a wolf," said he has found wolf kills while hunting. The Montana mule deer population has "dropped drastically" because of wolves, he said.

Wolves have killed hunting dogs, too, he said.

"We dog hunt, dogs die," he said.

Lloyd McLougihn debated the role of wolves with vigil participants Monday.

"Why do we want to listen to them about how wolves are so good?" he said.

He said the wolves in Idaho are from Canada, and far different from the population that once roamed the mountains.

"We don't want these wolves here - they eat all our animals," he said.

Ann Sydow, member of the Northern Idaho Wolf Alliance, said the public needs to know how wolves are being hunted. They're being shot and trapped, she said, adding that trapping is cruel.

"I think if more people knew what was really happening, I think they would be really outraged," she said.

Sydow said wolves are not random killers of anything that comes their way.

She said out of 2.2 million cattle in Idaho last year, only 75 were killed by wolves. Bears and mountain lions are more likely to kill people, she said.

"They're by far the least dangerous predator out there," she said. "They're the most beneficial too. They don't see people as prey. They could kill a person. They just don't."

Glen Stewart said the bottom line is, people shouldn't kill wolves.

"If they're going to do anything, go out and learn from the wolf," he said.

IDFG spokesmen could not be reached for comment Monday.

What really chaps me about these ill informed greenies is this:

According to the Western Legacy Alliance, over the past 10 years $35 million in taxpayer dollars was paid to 13 environmental-animal rights groups and $4.,7 billion in taxpayer money was paid to environmental-animal rights law firms between… 2003 and 2007.
The environmental-animal rights groups contest some of these numbers, but not the fact they are using or abusing the Equal Access to Justice Act. Compare those numbers to the $922 million the USFWS spent on the 986 endangered and threatened species in one year.

Wasting the American peoples hard earned money. For What? Welfare Biologists & Welfare Lawyers.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Watch this and understand why our moose populations are near epic decline...along with our elk, deer, antelope...and our cattle and sheep......

Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

That calf only had one chance, Me and my ar-10