Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Wolves Dying!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Wolves Dying!?!

I was watching a National Geographic Special on Yellowstone. They said half the wolf packs had died. The cause was a mite. This mite burrows under their their skin and causes their fur to fall out. Much like the Mange. They soon die. They showed pictures and a lot of them looked terrible. Maybe prayers have been answered. Have you seen this? Have you noticed any increase in deer or elk herds?

Unread 11-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Wolves Dying!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo4061 View Post
I was watching a National Geographic Special on Yellowstone. They said half the wolf packs had died. The cause was a mite. This mite burrows under their their skin and causes their fur to fall out. Much like the Mange. They soon die. They showed pictures and a lot of them looked terrible. Maybe prayers have been answered. Have you seen this? Have you noticed any increase in deer or elk herds?
We can hope. I will be down in SW MT next week elk hunting. We have seen quite a few wolves the last couple of years there. I would like to shoot another this year but it won't bother me if we see none.

Steve

To hunt... or not to hunt...? What a stupid question.
Unread 11-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Disease is "the" factor in canine population reduction. To many dogs... disease takes over and populations crash. disease and poison are the only real controls that have ever worked.
Unread 11-07-2016, 09:44 PM
Bronze Member

Sounds like nature is taking it coarse again. Thats the same thing that happens to the PD on the CMR. They will not let you shoot the PD's. Then after a bit they are gone from a disease they get. Happens when there to many in one spot.
Unread 11-08-2016, 03:44 AM
Gold Member

I don't think local residents will be shedding any tears or showing much concern !!
Unread 11-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
........Disease is "the" factor in canine population reduction. To many dogs... disease takes over and populations crash. disease and poison are the only real controls that have ever worked............

Nailed it.
Unread 11-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Silver Member

Don't bet on it yet.
They've lied before about these wolves in the past. I would not put it past them to create their own little world to try to keep them listed.
Nal't Geo just takes thousands of pictures and makes up a story for their own cause.