Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Wolf season now......Maybe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Silver Member

Wolf season now......Maybe

So in a positive state of my mind as I write this, I have a new twist on wolf management plan! As we all have an, ungulate (easily confused with unregulated) crisis getting worse, I have devised a plan and need some legal guidance.

To explain how I stumbled into this plan I will give a brief "non prejudice" explanation of a type of year around hunt we have in my area. There are several Native American tribes which, by treaty have a right to hunt this area, including Yellowstone Park. I have no opinion on this issue, but do wish they would not target our struggling elk and sheep herds anymore, and focus on bison. On the other hand the elk die every day at the jaws of an invasive species that "white man" brought here.

Through the research I have done, I have found that the Native Americans view the wolf with respect. So this plan may flop.

THE BIG PLAN

If any Native Americans would like a local person to; find, ride along with, or work his ass off in the game of gathering "Wolf Medicine". Then I will be the first to offer my "anything I can do".

I need advise on this issue because we have tribe members in this area and I see wolves almost every time I coyote hunt. Before I approach them I want to be prepared, and do not know if wolves are in the treaty? Historically there must have been wolves killed, and surely there must be a few Native Americans who want a wolf hide. I have horses getting fat and wolves roaming a plenty!

Last edited by rooster740; 03-03-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wolf season now......Maybe

With respect for your passion on this issue, and I'm no lawyer. It seems to me both logic and legal left town regarding this wolf deal from day one. How much justice can you afford is the question. Suppose you're 100% correct about the law, can you afford to play against an opponent (government) with unlimited time, and resources, should they decide to charge you anyway and see how it plays out. The other side of the math weighed against the risk, in reality do you believe you could kill enough wolves to make a biological difference. The fellow I know that's killed the most wolves, a Canadian guide that's very serious about killing wolves in his area. Shoot on sight 10 months out of the year, bait sets, traps and taking clients, best year if memory serves is 33?. Add that to the 166 I think Montana ended up with, and you still don't have enough to make the difference you desire. My friend has been killing 20-30 wolves a year for a decade I know of, and he uses the same trap sites now as he did 10 years ago! Next year there will be enough wolves to do it again. Just my thoughts and I'm on your side. Best of luck.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting idea, rooster. Good points, Carl.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

+1. Seems like a solid plan. It may not solve the problem completely, but every little bit helps. I can't imagine that many of the tribal members would be against it, but I'm no lawyer either. It's definately worth a look. If it works down there, it's something I'd like to see around here as well. Hope it works out for you!
Cdoy
Old 03-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Silver Member

Game over! The Native Americans can not be aided by me, is my understanding!

Crap!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
Game over! The Native Americans can not be aided by me, is my understanding!

Crap!
Good effort though!!!!!!! Maybe you could get a decoy horse trained, once a wolf gives chase you can lay them down in defense of your livestock

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

The Native Americans can kill wolves. Once again I saw a pair of wolves near a bison gut pile. Not a coyote in site but sure could have smoked two gray wolves. I figure any dead wolves will help. So we need to find an avid hunter who is Nez Perce of Idaho, Confederated Salish, Kootenai tribes of northwest Montana and I believe the Crow have rights!

These muts are everywhere around Gardiner!