Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Wolf scoreboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wolf scoreboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
Season should have been continued in MT, AND TRAPPING USED.I put in 15 solid days, wolf only, and the era hard to catch up with. Population up 15% WTF
We just gotta pray for FWP to open up trapping, and open the season year round.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Idaho continues to add on to a good season: 248 hunters-114 trappers=362 wolves that won't be a problem next year. I'm would have never thought the Panhandle would be in the lead coming down to the wire, Dworshak was the unit I had picked. Densities must be higher than I ever expected.
I just posted on Broz's "Montana wolf hunting news" thread, so I"ll spare you the details here, but the Panhandle and NW Montana share some wolves. Given some of what came out in this study it should not surprise us the numbers coming out of there.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

I elk hunted in the Panhandle 4-5 yrs. and left when I was running into alot of wolfs. Glad they are gettint wacked. Mt should be more aggressive in its approach and shear size.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

On top of more numbers, longer season, trapping, calling, etc. the FWP has to accept you can't run a quota system on a animal that ranges as far as a wolf, and whose litters disperse as far as they do. The concept of breeding pair needs revision as well a female with pups is a breeding pair even if you can't find the daddy. Any body we can write or call let us know.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
I elk hunted in the Panhandle 4-5 yrs. and left when I was running into alot of wolfs. Glad they are gettint wacked. Mt should be more aggressive in its approach and shear size.
There are well over 200 wolves in the panhandle. Killing 80 of them won't put a dent in their population and it won't stop them from killing elk and deer. Wolves compete with other wolves for food resources, so all you are doing by killing wolves is making sure that the remaining wolves won't have to compete with other wolves for deer and elk. read Jim Beer's new article when harvest equals enhancement. There are easily over 2000 wolves in Idaho. I am afraid that Idaho hunters will never fix this problem.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
On top of more numbers, longer season, trapping, calling, etc. the FWP has to accept you can't run a quota system on a animal that ranges as far as a wolf, and whose litters disperse as far as they do. The concept of breeding pair needs revision as well a female with pups is a breeding pair even if you can't find the daddy. Any body we can write or call let us know.
According to an expert, you have to remove 70% of the wolf population every year to help the elk and deer herds. There are easily 2000 plus wolves in Idaho Removing near 400 wolves won't even come close to putting a dent in their population. You kill wolves in an area, other wolves will move in to claim that area. I know some hunters think that a hunting season and trapping season is going to help cure the problem, but it's not. Wolves hunt year round. Many hunters in idaho already know they are doomed.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Idaho continues to add on to a good season: 248 hunters-114 trappers=362 wolves that won't be a problem next year. I'm would have never thought the Panhandle would be in the lead coming down to the wire, Dworshak was the unit I had picked. Densities must be higher than I ever expected.
I just posted on Broz's "Montana wolf hunting news" thread, so I"ll spare you the details here, but the Panhandle and NW Montana share some wolves. Given some of what came out in this study it should not surprise us the numbers coming out of there.
The panhandle is doomed. You have to remove 70% of the wolf population every year to help the deer and elk. The panhandle has 200 wolves plus. Removing nearly 80 of them isn't going to do anything. Idaho hunters in the panhandle were allowed 2 wolf tags each. Only 1 wolf hunter in the panhandle bagged 2 wolves and one only trapper bagged the 3 wolves he was allowed. As you can see, we aren't going to hunt and trap our way out of this problem. Poison is not allowed and the Idaho fish and game have said they aren't going to use bounties on wolves and they won't allow a predator shoot on sight season for wolves. Idaho unfortunately is doomed. To think otherwise is living in fantasy land. Ask the hunters in Idaho. They will all tell you the same thing. You cannot kill or trap enough wolves to help the deer and elk herds. With 2000 plus wolves in Idaho and them being prolific breeders, they know that the elk and deer don't stand a chance.