Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Wolf scoreboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Wolf scoreboard.

Idaho wolfers continue moving the ball forward, Hunters 240-Trappers break 100 (101) for a total 341. Trappers are coming on and have exceeded the rifle hunter totals in, the Panhandle, Lolo, the Selway. With 35 in the Panhandle someone has figured out something. Hopefully, they have some apprentices that will expand into some of the units that don't appear to have trappers. I think it brings home the point, to manage wolf numbers all the tools are needed.
My dream continues of seeing all of these trophies hanging from Cabelas ridge beam, for some kind of contest. Spokane's Bighorn Show is 2 weeks out I hope you Idaho guys, bring as many as you can for display.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Idaho hunters at 243, and trappers 104 for a total of 347. I continue to be pleasantly surprised, as I did not believe the season would withstand political pressure. Sometimes it's nice to be proven wrong! I read the rules, and trappers are allowed 3, but it appears they can additionally use their 2 hunting tags for a total of 5. Anybody know if I'm reading that correctly?

Last edited by HARPERC; 03-09-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

That's good news. Time will tell if it really makes any difference to the ungulate population. Hopefully Montana will follow suit and have a system more like Idaho.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
That's good news. Time will tell if it really makes any difference to the ungulate population. Hopefully Montana will follow suit and have a system more like Idaho.
I hope it makes a difference for all the prey species, for me it's just good to see hunters in the game. The MT FWP calling for more control of all predators. Utah, and Oregon moving forward, making predator control a portion of their efforts to improve Mule Deer herds. Idaho continuing to demonstrate resolve managing the wolf. The other side has put up a lot of uncontested points, so it's good to see some old school conservation principles back in the conversation..
Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

When you look back 3 or 4 years, this season is fantastic. We need to be thankful for the opportunity to get our herds, and wildlands back in a managable balance. Good news all around. I assume you all saw Wyomings plan was signed by the governer this week.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkmen View Post
When you look back 3 or 4 years, this season is fantastic. We need to be thankful for the opportunity to get our herds, and wildlands back in a managable balance. Good news all around. I assume you all saw Wyomings plan was signed by the governer this week.
I did see WY governor signed the plan-any guesses on how long before the project is shovel ready as they say.LOL.
Idaho hunters 244, and trappers 109 for 353 total, The Idaho governor has asked for more federal funds, and has pretty well been rejected. It might be an opportune time for some of you Idaho residents to mention to your elected officials, to inquire about the Pittman-Robertson funds hijacked to bring you these critters.
It brought a smile to my face hearing Otter ask when's the last time anyone came to Idaho to see a wolf. Got to love election years.

Last edited by HARPERC; 03-13-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Season should have been continued in MT, AND TRAPPING USED.I put in 15 solid days, wolf only, and the era hard to catch up with. Population up 15% WTF