Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Wolf scoreboard.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wolf scoreboard.

Id be careful of using calls, Illegal you know especially posting you did

I bet none of you have a .234 (6mm rem necked to .234)
Old 12-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousmudbogger View Post
Hand blown calls are 100% legal!!!!! Electronic is a not, I've modified an elk bugle and an elk inc howler to do a decent howl, once located calf elk in distress. They respond to coyote howls as well if you can get everyone singing they join in.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousmudbogger View Post
Thought it was just baiting that's illegal, plus it's technically a coyote call. But I will double check the regs before we head out again. Thanx for the heads up.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member

The wolf is a big game animal in MT, no electronic calls, what you can do elk hunting is all you can do with wolves in MT, Idaho however it's game one!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Just a note here , with the recent ruling to extend the Montana season to Feb 15 th 2012. It was also ruled that after the big game season is closed it is no longer required that a wolf hunter wears orange. So if you are not in a heavily hunted area you may feel more comfortable, you can leave the orange off. This was ruled using the fact that the MT wolf is not a big game animal but a "species of interest" Don't ask me what all that means but you no longer are require to wear orange for this season.

I talked with a lady that is at all meatings and close to FWP last night. She thinks there will be many changes for fall 2012 season. So watch for " open discussions" with FWP and put your syggestions in. One I will be hitting on is the large size of our 392 hunt area and the low quota number. It was filled pretty darn fast this year.

Jeff
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Gold Member

I was under the impression that the "species of interest" ment that it had it's own special set of rules reguarding calling (I was given some wrong info from a guy who hunts yotes/wolves alot. He's under the impression that they fall under the same calling rules as yotes). But the regs clearly state that it is a "Big Game" species and thus no electronics at all. If you gotta have a tag for it, it's big game... I guess. So hand calls only is the rule. Hand calling seems to be the hot ticket anyway. (again, according to the guy that would have lost me a wolf and gained me a big fine. I'll admit that it would have been my own damn fault for not doing my homework... )

I think I might stop into FWP today and pick their brains a little on the matter. I'd like to get there take on wolf impacts on bear and yote numbers as well. Several backcountry outfitters around here think the wolves are killing off cubs/pups at an alarming rate. I'm not quite sure what to think about that yet, but I bet FWP has got an... let's call it "interesting" take on the matter.

Thanx again for the clarification guys, you may have saved my butt.
Cody
Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

sorry for no pics yet I'm having problems get the pics from my camera my friend is coming over to help me so I should get the story and pics up soon and when I took it to the fish and game they fell out off there seats but we did find out why he weighed so much he had stuffed him self before I shout him his bally was plum full but they still think he would have been in the 170 to 185 range. I will get pics up soon sorry for the for the all anticipation