Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Wolf, Coyote or Coywolf??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wolf, Coyote or Coywolf??

Id say that's a coy-wolf for sure look at its body build compared to a normal yote. I mean just look at the front legs on that sob. way bigger then any coyote I've ever killed.. The face is a dead give away for the yote side of the mix. I wish we could get year round hunting with no limits here in Montana.... Damn things are every where over here. Reported three just north on me over by wolf creek and the Fwp biologist said: they must have been big coyotes there isn't any wolves over there. It took all I had to bite my tongue. Me: so if there is absolutely no chance there are wolves over there and they are just big coyotes I can shoot them right?? Fwp: well its your responsibility to make sure they aren't wolves before you shoot them as coyotes.. Me: well im trying to tell you there are wolves over there... Fwp: No sir there aren't wolves in that area. Me: there are wolves in every area your just to blind to see...

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 06-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

The biologist is a well educated individual. So if he or she says that there are no wolves in that area, then you shoot, shoot and shoot some more and just leave the yotes for the buzzards. Don't make it complicated
Old 06-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

Ya I hear ya but I've already been down that road with theses guys. I had a newbie warden call me into the office for a few questions. I sat down at the table he asked me if I had been in this area around this time I said yes he then said I am now going to read you your Maranda rights now and then ask you a few more queations. With his hand on his gun the whole time he did and I then asked him am I under arrest? He said no. I said well being that you have now pissed me off I will not be answering any of your questions, got up and left. Later that week I had a nice meeting with the head warden... Not about anything that had gone on up hunting but about his all hi and mighty warden.

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 01-11-2014, 05:25 PM

Wolf, Coyote or Coywolf??

Howdy Folks,

Well I finally got back the DNA results on this thread I started almost a year ago with the pictures I posted. The DNA from the Ministry of Natural Resources came back as "Eastern Red Wolf" . The DNA did not show the characteristics of a coyote, and had no coyote mixed in it at all as previously thought.

I guess we all learned something on this one, I know I sure did and now can't wait to hunt these wolves in my area!

Thanking you all in advance for your informative input.

Cheers

Jaime
Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

Best advice - 3 - S's. Shoot, shovel, Shutup
Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 PM
Silver Member

Shoot leave and shut up, not worth the shovel. We are over run with wolves here, elk are down near town and in pastures even in a low snow year, staying away from the wolves.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

I apologize mtntrapper, their probably grandkids from the Alberta wolves we SOLD the govt for Yellowstone GRR