Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Wolf Carcass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 PM

Wolf Carcass

I have a question to any one that has hunted and shot a wolf. What did you do with the carcass?
I had a wolf tag last year and did not really think about what I would do if I shot a wolf. All I was interested in was the skull and maybe the hide. I am in Montana and I know that a wolf is not considered a game animal so technically I could take what I want and leave the rest but I don't think the land owner would like that.
So if you only want the skull and hide but not anything else and you don't want to or can't just leave the rest, what would be the best way to get rid of everything else?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wolf Carcass

Waste of game- wolf is excluded from being considered as "suitable for food" under big game regulation. A person that harvests a wolf and wishes to retain possession of the hide and head must personally present the hide and skull with evidence of sex naturally attached to a designated Fwp employee within 10 days after harvest. The remaining carcass maybe taken in possession or left in the field.

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Find a guy who's trying to trap them and let him gland them before discrete and proper disposal!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

The green boxes take them I hear! Since I am such an environmentally friendly foe, I like to leave them in the skinning tree! This way, nature can re-utilize the worthless carcass!
I hear that typically by the time that the hide is jerked off, that the smell of the nasty mutt will leave you with no desire to deal with the red part anymore then is necessary!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
The green boxes take them I hear! Since I am such an environmentally friendly foe, I like to leave them in the skinning tree! This way, nature can re-utilize the worthless carcass!
I hear that typically by the time that the hide is jerked off, that the smell of the nasty mutt will leave you with no desire to deal with the red part anymore then is necessary!
+1 ^^^

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Bronze Member

The best comparable I have are coyote carcasses, a buddy who traps. After the skinning the carcass goes off to the 'carcass pile', which is an open pole line on his own property. He throws other carcasses there too. They ALL get eaten up.

Crows are not at all picky about what they eat, especially when food gets scarce, eagles too. Then there is a host of other scavengers, some 4 footed. The bones are picked clean over time, of course the beaver, muskrats & the like go 1st, but they all go.

So go shoot one, save the hide & skull & let nature recycle the rest. It's best to dispose of the carcass on private land with landowner permission.