Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Why do so many people hate on wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Why do so many people hate on wolves?

rooster740, there certainly was a lot of that kind of BS also. Everytime I read a wolf thread, the Yellowstone herd gets bigger before wolves, the wolves definitely get bigger, and the elk herd as a whole in the US is plummeting because of wolves. I dislike wolves too. I just wish people would get the fricken facts straight before posting their crap all over the internet. And to idaho elk hunter, if I can figure out how to post a pic, I'll show you the one I kissed with a 200 grain Accubond. Typical post from someone who probably believes some of the crap. mtmuley
Old 08-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

One of the biggest problems we have in the lower 48 in the west is the lies that OUR SIDE portrays about wolves and elk and such. ive been a TRAPPER most of my 57 years. I know some of the very best predator men in Montana and Idaho, former Govt Hunters, Trappers, State predator control, now all private or working for state FWP and F&G. All are out of the agencies because they were against the wolves during the intro of the currs to Idaho and Yellowstone and what ever the Nez Perce Tribe was doing also. Show me a real 200 Lb wolf in the lower 48, The guys who have trapped and hunted hundreds have never seen them, 175+ yes, and yes they look 200 with thick winter fur, but take off that fur and look at them. We need to keep a clean slate as much as possible in the public's eye. Do what you will, but keep it quiet. They are far better financed and connected in the media than us. Ive trapped all my life untill recently, Ive dealt with the threats and defamatory rhetoric all the time since I was a just a kid. See Lobo Watch online, see the facts and buy the CD - Cry Wolf. Enuff said.

Andy
Old 08-12-2013, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Yellowstone is place where the facts are tough to sort out. My last trip was pre-wolf, a ranger stopped and yelled for us to eat our sandwiches faster, my kids asked "dad was that Mr. or Mrs. ranger?" Fact is I'm still not sure. The most recent claim is the wolf killed the elk, this bumper berry crop is credited to the wolf, and is a tremendous benefit to the grizzly. Yet when a malnourished sow and cubs took to eating campers in a bad berry year no one mentioned the elk, why a sow in her prime could not feed the cubs, or what role stresses from wolves harassing her family might have had in the incident. So yes the PR gets deep. Our first official wolf (WA) was killed on a highway, of course it was a Yellowstone wolf, never mind a short distance up the road there was a sign selling "wolf pups" that had been posted there for many years (recently removed). Rumors of other incidents around that location that I can't swear to firsthand. I believe the 200 lb Mackenzie Valley Wolf is only slightly more likely than Bigfoot. A review of facts is why I hold it as a "possibility. The size of the dump bears, the original transplant wolves were essentially placed into a dump like setting. The black variation in wolves is considered to be a gene left over from crossing with dogs millennia ago. That crossing continues today with the "Giant Malamute" being a big genetic donor. They also likely top out at about 175 lean, 200 larded up maybe. There was unofficial transplanting prior to the USFWS taking up the chore. Back in the 80's a fellow was caught because his hybrid followed him out of the Wallowas. Also many were dumped when the cute puppy started showing "ALPHA" tendencies. 2 quotes from the fellow that headed the transplant program: 1) Put a beagle in a blender and you could not tell if it was a dog or wolf from DNA (1990 science). 2) The Northern Yellowstone Wolf Transplant was so easy it could have been accomplished with an old pickup driven by a couple of chimps. I'm sure the chimps didn't get the 10's of millions of dollars we spent, and they didn't get to keep the truck either. With the competence usually exhibited in government programs, that much genetic variability, and fueled with that much protein I don't think many absolutes can be ruled out. A problem only a geneticist, trapper, or rifleman can sort out. I won't hesitate to shoot from thinking wolves don't get that big. I don't do pictures either mtmuley, but I do shoot the 200 Accubond, and would love to see a picture of your wolf.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
rooster740, there certainly was a lot of that kind of BS also. Everytime I read a wolf thread, the Yellowstone herd gets bigger before wolves, the wolves definitely get bigger, and the elk herd as a whole in the US is plummeting because of wolves. I dislike wolves too. I just wish people would get the fricken facts straight before posting their crap all over the internet. And to idaho elk hunter, if I can figure out how to post a pic, I'll show you the one I kissed with a 200 grain Accubond. Typical post from someone who probably believes some of the crap. mtmuley
Well I do not know you from Pete, and do not wish to see who can pee higher. Like many others around here( a few minutes on a run away donkey, north of Yellowstone) I made a great winter income by helping others kill elk. Now there is not even hardly a hunting season! I do not know where you live, or what you do for a living, but I blame the wolves/ gooberment for my predicament! To me it feels like every elk on Earth has died!
And for the record I do not kiss wolves. I hate em'....so I refer to my interactions as wackin!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:51 AM
Silver Member

I'm in the Bitterroot. We have a few wolves here. Sorry you have a loss of income. As I said, I don't care for wolves either. My point is that all the bogus info going around is doing no good. Wolves are here to stay. That is a fact. Another fact is they haven't killed every elk on Earth. And most guys that bitch and moan about them know nothing about wolves, and don't attempt to hunt any. Hunt them, not poach them. I hear all the time guys saying "I'll kill every one I see anytime." Go ahead. For me the risk is too great, and it won't help a damn thing anyway. mtmuley
Old 08-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Bronze Member

I live in Alaska, and we have Wolves running out our ears. I shoot everyone I see. During the winter $250.00 to 400.00 each on average. During the summer it's the three Ss. If it's left out over night the pack will come back and eat it. So that happens a lot too. Yes I admit I hate Wolves, and I do everything I can to reduce their numbers.

Last fall I saw two guys with .50 BMGs. They were targeting Wolves following the Caribou migration. They were shooting out over a mile to a mile and a half. Sometimes they missed, but when they made a solid hit, it was like watching those praerie dog hunts. Explosive. Their sole purpose was to reduce the number of Wolves following the Caribou.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Gold Member

Come on guys you know that our Government is only thinking about whats best for all of us.

Besides is dangerous saying anything about this administration you realize you could afend someone or be called a racist for saying anyting at all about President Obama.

What ever we say on this Forum someone is watching.