Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Why do so many people hate on wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Why do so many people hate on wolves?

I talked to my Grandfather, and he tiold me what his brother had to say about the Wolf in Wyoming back in the late 1800s. A rancher would go off to tend his cattle in the morning leaving the wife and kids to tend to things around the house and barns. Only to return and find the wife and kids dead and eaten by wolves. They had been attacked while tending the garden, or while going to the barn to milk, and feed the livestock kept penned up. The Wolves prayed on Sheep, Cattle, and Horses. They would also attack any human they found alone out on the planes. My Grandfather's brother hunted them with hounds. He used two trailers with good noses. Four Grayhounds, sight dogs that could catch and hold a Wolf. Then two to four killer dogs, Airdales or Pitbulls. Then the Government Trappers started using poison to erradicate what was left.

I know from personnel experience, a pack of five or more Wolves will attack humans. I hunt Wolves with a very accurate single shot rifle, that I shoot from ambush. I first shoot the Alpha Male, then the Alpha Female. That throws the pack into confussion. Then we open up with semi-autos to take as many as possiable. We try to take the entire pack with no survivers, that way we don't educate them to hunters. Once a pack has been educated they will no longer eat cold meat, they will only eat hot meat. Hot meat is an animal they have just killed. Once they have eaten their fill they will never return. They know either a trapper or a hunter will be trying to trap or shoot them on the cold meat. They leave that to the Coyotes, Foxes, and Eagles. We have a pack over on the Wood River with over 30 animals in it. Environmentalist will tell you they never gather in such large number, don't you believe it. I've seen them myself, following and chasing the Caribou. I've also seen them kill 30 to 40 Caribou in an afternoon, and only feed off four or five.

So do you want these animals living in your back yard. A good friend, lives right outside Denali Park. He has caught many Park Wolves in snares placed under the poles of his horse corrals. Each time the Environmental Groups scream bloody murder, and put it on the internet. My friend has received Death Threats against him and his family, over the phone.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Gold Member

SD

You have first hand experiance, 99.99% of the rest of us dont. I have a feeling that that percentage is going down. My family lives on the Idaho Montana boarder and when ever we hike or fish we all carry weapons. Wolves are now moving into Nevada, Oregon, Washington............Somehow in the back of my mind the EPA, Federal Wilflife put them back in the lower 48 not so much for the reeasons we think but for more of a sinister reason............they are killing vast Elk heards, cattle, sheep, and next people...............

With the Obama mind set we are in for a hard fight.................we are totally outnumbered and our way of life is coming to a close.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Gold Member

I live in Nevada, wolves are just beginning to roam our state. However, we have been dealing with wild horses for years...................When my boys were smaller we had a Wild Stalion come for us, this was not the first time this has happened to me. Lucky for my boys we were able to get up on some rocks. It's a scarry thought of what might have happened if we had been caught out in the open. When we got home I contacted the Nevada State "Wild Hourse" Group and told them what happened. I asked if I had the right to defend myself. I was told that under NO circumstances was I ever allowed to defend myself, as we were in their environment and really had no right to be there. I was told that If you had defended yourself and they found out I would have been arrested.
This is where we are as a nation, this is only going to get a whole lot worse when animals have the right that we dont.
One other time this happened again and this time I defended myself...

G
Old 08-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

There is one other problem with the wolves that were introduced In America They were not native to America.

The native wolves were much smaller and in there grate wisdom the people that wanted them reintroduced went to Europe and bought them and they are Russian and much bigger They can be well over 200 pounds and are large enough and do regularly take down the largest animals we have.

There has already been attacks on people because they fear nothing and it is only going to get worse.

Elk, bear, caribou, moose all contribute meat for people. What does a Wolf contribute? just problems.

Man Is the Apex predator,and although he does not always do the best job of select control, he is governed and for the most part wants to do right.

The wolf will kill and after he gets his belly full leave the rest of the animal to rot. the next time he gets hungry he just simply kills again and repeats the cycle.

Yellowstone is a prime example of this. They had one of the largest herds of elk before the wolves were introduced and now there are almost none.

We do not have a wolf problem hear in Texas but we do have a Hog problem and it all started when some people decided to introduce the hogs for sport, and the rest is history.

My feeling about wolves, KILL ALL OF THEM. and solve the problem.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Gold Member

JE

There is a sight on line that direct its attention to putting the wolf back on the Endagered List. Most of the contributers are from large cities, like Portland Sacramento LA.............I offered to have two or three hundred shipped to their are, at least that way they would not have to travel so far to see them in the wild, also offered to send them a thousand wild horses. The replys that I got were all the same, "we like knowing that they are in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. For some reason they dont want them close to home.
I had no idea that the wolves that were re introduced were from Russia I thought they came from Alaska or Canada. Your right they are Huge. My In-laws live in notheren Idaho and they showed me pictues of wolves that went right a 160lbs.

Do you have a web sight for your guns, I looking into having a new rifle built next year.................

Greg
Old 08-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Bronze Member

My understanding from the Biologidst I have talked to, is that Wolves came over on the ice from Russia. The Russian Wolves were much larger than the Native North American Wolves. In a few decades they had overwhelmed the native Wolves and taken over the area. Eventually spreading down into Canada.

When the US Fish and Wildlife decided to bring wolves into Yellowstone they went to Canada to get the wolves. Canada gave us the larger Northern Wolf to introduce into Yellowstone. That is the only Russian connection I am aware of.

The Wolves here in Alaska are much bigger than the Wolves in Wisconsin and Michigan. But I understand they are the same Wolf you now have in Yellowstone, and the surrounding area.

Defenders Of Wildlife are now asking for money to help protect the Mexican Gray Wolf. They claim the Mexican Gray has just started coming across the border and need protection. When I lived in New Mexico back during the 80s, I personally saw Wolves running around in the Northern Sacramento Mountains. I also saw them farther North on Cattle Ranches. A few had been shot by the ranchers, and brought back into Ranch Headquarters, so the Rancher could show them to neighbors and crews working the area. Then they were taken out and buried.

I'd like to make a recommendation. Everyone should read the book "Alaska's Wolf Man" by Jim Reardon. You can get it through your local library. if they don't have it they can get it through interlibrary loans. It's about the life of Frank Glasser, a market hunter, guide, trapper, and government hunter. It really gives an insight into Wolves and Bears, and what the people at the time were going through.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
JE

There is a sight on line that direct its attention to putting the wolf back on the Endangered List. Most of the contributers are from large cities, like Portland Sacramento LA.............I offered to have two or three hundred shipped to their are, at least that way they would not have to travel so far to see them in the wild, also offered to send them a thousand wild horses. The replys that I got were all the same, "we like knowing that they are in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. For some reason they dont want them close to home.
I had no idea that the wolves that were re introduced were from Russia I thought they came from Alaska or Canada. Your right they are Huge. My In-laws live in northern Idaho and they showed me pictures of wolves that went right a 160lbs.

Do you have a web sight for your guns, I looking into having a new rifle built next year.................

Greg
I have seen pictures of the Imported wolves that weighed more than 200 pounds. The native American wolf is about the size of a German shepherd And the red and grays weighed 80 to 120 pounds.

They were a threat but nothing like the Russian strain is.

There has already been several attacks on people and at least one fatality. and there are more to come.

I kill every Pig I see and if I happen to see a wolf ...........

J E CUSTOM