Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Why do so many people hate on wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

Re: Why do so many people hate on wolves?

Last year only 4 sheep were killed on the sheep farm where I try to keep the predators under control. Of the 4, only 1 was actually eaten. A second had the face eaten off but was otherwise untouched. Another 2 died from shock and blood loss after taking multiple bites.

I get the impression that sheep are relatively big prey animals for coyotes and that the adults take the pups on "training missions" to teach them how to hunt the bigger animals. That would explain why out of 4 animals in a few weeks, only 1 was actually consumed. I killed 2 males out of that pack in the same general area as where the sheep were killed on 02/02.

2 years ago, before I became involved, this farmer lost 80% of his lambs and 1 out of 5 of his breeding herd to the coyotes. That year nearly drove the farm to bankruptcy.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

Is it open season on them like coyotes? or are they restricted to hunt? I would be raising hell with the state if I lost money because of the State's pet projects.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Gold Member

I can't speak for wolves, but for example, if I shoot a coyote out of season on the farm, one may have to call it in to the DNR to be legal. I know for a fact that hunters killing predators out west have been arrested for not calling in cougar and other kills within a certain period (10 days ?) I assume with coyotes no-one will bother but I think a wolf kill would have to be called in. This is assuming one is on agricultural land. Any other land usually the only justification would be self defense.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Silver Member

Wow I cant believe some states have an actual season for coyotes. Only need a hunting license and your golden.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanm70 View Post
Is it open season on them like coyotes? or are they restricted to hunt? I would be raising hell with the state if I lost money because of the State's pet projects.
Some states are treating them like big game animals, selling tags with seasons and limits, I think Wyoming is the only that can shoot on sight in some areas.

It is a proven fact that cattle in high pasture with wolves raise smaller calves due to the stress they endure. This loss in weight on sale day each fall cost each individual rancher thousands. More like 10's of thousands from each ranch with the problem. We have seen the neighbors entire heard ( twice in the last 30 days) come running back to the corrals, in the dark, and heard up tight in the middle of the night as wolves pass through. These are cows with new born calves only days or weeks old. Some get stepped on. This kind of stress is not good for production.

Jeff
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterMedic View Post
I personally love wolves........ Then taste like chicken

Let's say you had grown up hunting an area your whole life, where you saw game every year, harvested animals most years. Then in just a few years After they introduce a new predator to the area you notice you are lucky to see an animal. Instead of game sign you find wolf track on every ridge line and hill top. Or you attempt to bugle up an elk but find instead you have 5 wolves that came to the call instead! Yeah I think you would have the same feelings we do out west. I think the worst part of it is knowing that if something does not change my kids will not have the same hunting experiences I was able have.
DITTO THIS and the other too
Old 04-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
DITTO THIS and the other too
Plus one more on both. I've hunted all over NW MT my whole life, and would like to take my kids soon as well. But as wolves arrive, game numbers drop like a stone. The wolf lovers all claim that the game species existed along side the wolf for thousands of years, and thus, it's supposed to be just as it was a few hundred years ago. The hole in this theory is that the game species now have never seen a wolf, and no longer have the skills/knowledge to deal with a new apex predator.

Wolves will take other predators kills as well (or just run them off the kill), this forces other apex predators to kill more often. We've seen a lot of strange behavior from lions and bears that are damn near starved. Healthy but hungry lions have even been found hanging out in barns, or on peoples decks eating their dogs and cats. There was a pic on here somewhere awhile back of a big tom that a guy found in his barn that didn't even run off when the guy came into the barn.

I've heard from some local outfitters that brown and grizzly bear cubs are becoming few and far between too. I haven't heard any hard facts that prove wolves are the cause of this. But the only change in the environment is the addition of the wolf, so as long as 1+1 is still 2... you get where I'm going with this.

Another big reason we hate em so much is that FWP ties our hands in regards to keeping them under control. They admit that the population is over what they call "sustainable" but won't increase bag limits or extend hunting/trapping seasons long enough to keep the numbers at what they call reasonable levels. So every year the population of wolves grows even farther beyond what it's supposed to be, yet control measures don't increase to even close to what they need to be. WY and ID are starting to make a little progress, but MT is still WAY behind the curve.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I just had a nice... We'll call it a "discussion" with a Sierra Club dumb-ass in the parking lot at the local FWP office, over the "smoke a pack a day" sticker on my pickup, and I'm still a little hot about it.