Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Why do so many people hate on wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Gold Member

Re: Why do so many people hate on wolves?

Mark

Its true their were some states that were in rebellion but most of the leaders of the southern army were against slavery. I think they were fighting for something other than what our history books tell us they were.

Rand Paul would be the leader that we need but as Stalin once said " its not the voters that deterine who wins an election but those who count the votes.

I believe that if the truth was known that there was voter fraud like we can not ever imagine.

G
Old 08-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Bronze Member

Long before Whiteman came into the area, Native Alaskans had a way of dealing with Wolf overpopulation near their hunting areas. They took pieces of willow and sharpened both ends. Then they bent the willow into a circle, and tied it that way. They took a container of hot grease and placed the willow twig in it, then set it outside to freeze. Once frozen they cut the string holding it in a circle. Later they scattered those grease balls out near a Moose Kill. The Wolves would grab the grease balls and swallow them whole. Later when the body warmth melted the grease the twigs straightened out piercing the stomach or the gut, and getting lodged. Yes a slow death for the Wolf, but the indiginous people at the time had no concept of that. The most important thing for them was reducing the number of Wolves in their hunting area. Feeding their families came first.

One good friend of mine that traps will throw chopped up cubes of meat all around his wolf sets. Very effective method. He gets this meat from the animals he traps. Fox, Coyote, Lynx, Marten, Beaver, and Wolves.

Wolves eat their own also. I shot a Wolf one evening on a ridge above our Hunting camp. Too late to try and get there that evening. Too many Grizzlies, and large packs of Wolves, in the area. That night we heard Wolves howling all around us. Next morning I walked up the ridge. The only thing left of the Wolf I had shot was a few pieces of bone, some fur, and bits of hide. Want to bring a Wolf into your camp here in Alaska? Try howling like a Coyote. I've had them run up to within 35 yards of our shooting benches in camp.

After we all have our Caribou, and all the meat is loaded, ready to go out in the morning, we decide to have some fun. Late in the evening we set our long range rifles up and start calling Coyotes. Coyotes will come out on the slope across the valley. We take 500 to 1000 yard shots. We knock down some leaving them where they fall because it's too dark to after them. Next morning we look and all the Coyotes will be gone. We go over to investigate and find Wolf tracks all around each location. In most cases the Coyote would be hauled away whole.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Gold Member

Would you think that using a Coyote howler would bring in Wolves in the area's in Montana or Idaho..............

How would you hunt them in these area's?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Sourdough,

That is a slick trick but i think the wolves here would be too smart for it because of all the hunting pressure they get. It might a couple. Might get some lions too. Might get some guys hounds as well.

My concern with poison is guys with hounds might lose hounds to poison and when I go backpacking and fishing in the back country, I like to take my labs along. Wouldn't want to see them get into poison.

I have seriously thought about using a stray cat or dog as bait. I've heard a cat put into a carrier and set out on the plains is good coyote bait.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

they eat what i eat.............
Old 08-15-2013, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Forgotten by most, the original lawsuit to stop the transplant, included as cause was the fact there were already indigenous wolves in the recovery zone, and likely in the numbers stated as the original cap. The Audubon society was listed right along with the rest of us "citing bad science" as their reason for opposing transplant. USFWS even decided not to cite a couple of kills during that time. not from benevolence, but because they did not want to swear in court wolves were already here, as it made the transplant illegal under the endangered species act. Another fact, was having "scientist" change the designation of the subspecies already here, so the Mackenzie Valley wolf would look less like an invasive species. Also illegal. There were always pockets in Glacier, North Idaho, Northeast Washington, probably the Cascades, and credible reports down into Colorado along the spine of the Rockies.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

mtntrapper1 makes another point. Our local paper (well from a town North of me) carried an editorial today from a gentleman that wants the speed limit lowered on the stretch of highway where a wolf was hit and killed by a car. He was concerned about how the wolfs death would impact the animals recovery. People like this make a lot of noise, and other people listen, whether they live with wolves or not. We need a balance between predators and game, but the anti's will never quit, especially if they can prove too many wolves are being killed. mtmuley