Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Why do so many people hate on wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: Why do so many people hate on wolves?

Less technology? How so? Starting in about the 1930's there was a government bounty. Trapping, shooting and poison were popular. Then, later there was gunning from planes and helicopters. It took damn near 100 years to deplete the population, and they weren't "killed off". The vast majority of hunters aren't poachers. You might be reminded of that. If you sleep better at night thinking they are going to go away, I guess that's your deal. mtmuley
Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
Less technology? How so? Starting in about the 1930's there was a government bounty. Trapping, shooting and poison were popular. Then, later there was gunning from planes and helicopters. It took damn near 100 years to deplete the population, and they weren't "killed off". The vast majority of hunters aren't poachers. You might be reminded of that. If you sleep better at night thinking they are going to go away, I guess that's your deal. mtmuley
The last wolves in my area were killed in 1926, if you would not agree that we have more technology now to aid us in every aspect of killing wolves then you are an .... Well anyway!
So you stated that it took 100 years, and wolves were all killed in 1926. I will let you know that this era was not exactly the peak of hunting technology.
If you keep to "remind" me and insinuating that I am a poacher we are going to be meeting at the bike rack! That is not a threat in any fashion, it is a simple invitation.
I hope you are playing the devils advocate for the sake of argument and not a closet stump fornication addict.
I realize that the wolves will never be completely gone. I do promise you that if the state of Montana is issuing 5 tags, letting us trap wolves and lifting many restrictions on wolf hunting they know they have a crisis!
Wolves are stupid compared to coyotes! Coyotes will always be here, but it is possible to kill every wolf living if all restrictions were to be lifted
Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

Poison is what finally got the wolf out of the country, it was used even in the days of the Buffalo, shoot, skin, haul the meat off,poison the guts and thats all it all it took in the 1800's to kill hundreds in short order. Mt is so behind on wolf control compared to Idaho because more environmental folks are in the wildlife education programs and FW&P now. No snaring is a huge blow to harvest. Unless we get better means in MT, they will stabilize in population even with trapping and hunting. Even in Idaho the first few years harvest made wolves more wary of humans. A wolf once stung will never come back and teach others about sets also. Ask any of the old Wolfers. I will do my part to keep the population down by rifle, trap, and snare when I get a chance.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

In defining the numbers (facts) of how many elk were killed by wolves one must carefully hear the question and answer. How big is Yellowstone? It fluctuates from the 4 million acres that was turned into a park, to what is referred to as the Yellowstone ECOSYSTEM, which encompasses almost 20,000,000 acres depending whose talking and when. It includes several national forest in which 10 wilderness areas have been designated. Or if you wish, look up the Y2Y numbers. Yellowstone to Yukon people free is what they desire. The Idaho Lolo unit was decimated by Yellowstone wolves. The animal itself recognizes no boundaries, although they may have figured in the park is safer than outside. My understanding is funding for these eco-nuts is often Saudi money. It's being used to provide both information and misinformation, so getting down to facts is tough. I try to keep factual, but its tough sledding. The folks supposed to keep an eye on things have their own agendas. State officials want to be Feds when they grow up. Selling tags for animals that no longer exist balances budgets, and elected officials want to be elected. Plenty of units out there that have been decimated. Lolo, and the Gardner unit are just a couple, and elk are just one species. We're being hosed good by our own government, and the wolf was just the beginning. It doesn't matter to me if it was 19,000 elk or 38,000 elk, take it in small bites or swallow it whole we've been robbed.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:03 AM
Silver Member

Rooster, I'm not insinuating anything. From certain posts I percieve that some may not adhere to wolf hunting regulations. It's hard to percieve intention on the net, if I was wrong about it, I aplogize to anyone it affected. Don't much care for internet threats either. Or '"invitation" as it was phrased. I also do my part to thin out a few wolves. I hunt them after general big game is over, something not many guys do. I signed up for a trapping class yesterday. It's funny how when a wolf conversation includes some sensibility on the issue, one turns into a "stump fornicator". We agree, they'll never be gone. The reintroduction was a huge success for the Feds, and a failure for hunters. A mess for sure. mtmuley
Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
I'm not sure when the last wolf in Montana was killed or even if they were completely wiped out. I've heard rumors that were a handful in the SW Montana/Idaho area when the re-introduction started. But I believe they been gone for the most part since before helicopters. I'm not in favor of poison because of the possibility of collateral damage. Helicopters would be the way to get it done and they would be very effective.

But this is all moot until policies are changed and the only way that is going to happen is if Montana tells the Feds that we are taking control of our wildlife management period... which I don't see happening in the near future. Too many da#@$d liberals in this state.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Good points Mark,

25 years ago and more in remote SW MT while hunting elk up high, we were seeing occasional wolves. I had been to Canada and Minnesota and seen them before. Ive been a trapper and fur man most of my life. There was no question there was a small group wandering a huge range back then. There are poisons and methods that do not follow the food chain. Helicopters will not even get them all in steep canyons with heavy timber like the north ID / MT divide country and similar areas elsewhere. There are groups who want to get them now into Central MT in the CMR!!!!!!! A wildlife refuge no less! MT is too infiltrated with Enviros in FW&P, the majority of kids in the school programs now going into these agencies are anti hunt trap harvest of anything. I know 2 young men who are from hard hunting trapping backgrounds and in school. They tell me of the ave student and the plans they have for us. We are fighting a tough battle. Im here to help, to lower the wolf population. We need all the help we can get.

Andy