Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Why do so many people hate on wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Why do so many people hate on wolves?

Mark, I am aware of those facts, and don't have any issue with the truth of them. I understand the effect on the Yellowstone Herd. My problem lies with guys that believe...Wolves weigh 200 pounds plus (the "Russian strain")-The Yellowstone elk herd once numbered 37,000 animals-Wolves are killing the elk herd in the West as a whole-Wolves reproduce and increase 70% even after hunting has been allowed and on and on. Oh yeah, and the guys that think we can shoot our way out of this. Hate them with a passion, but it doesn't hurt to know the facts. mtmuley
Old 08-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Bronze Member

I live in Alaska, the average Wolf up here weights 140 to 175 lbs. Occasionally a 180 to 200 pounder will show up, but they are rare.

Five or more Wolves will attack humans. I'm waiting for the kids and women to start becoming Wolf Food. Campers, Hikers, Mt Bikers, Fishermen, And Lone Hunters. It's coming folks, just give them time.

This Spring the a Law Enforcement person and his partner had left their ATVs and walked about 50 yards to look over a ridge at the valley below. They turned and saw a pack of Wolves headed their way. Oh, Cool, they thought. They were watching as the seven animals came down the slope and turned in their direction. At about 60 yards the Wolves stopped coming forward and started circling the men. Oh SXXX our rifles are on the ATVs. The Wolves now blocked them from the ATVs. They realized they were now the hunted. As the wolves started growling and drawing the circle smaller, One of them remembered his Service Pistol. He pulled his Glock and started shooting in the air. The Wolves turned and started running away. His partner started yelling shoot the Wolves, not the sky. Too late the Wolves were in brush and making tracks. So just a warning Wolves can and will attack humans.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
Mark, I am aware of those facts, and don't have any issue with the truth of them. I understand the effect on the Yellowstone Herd. My problem lies with guys that believe...Wolves weigh 200 pounds plus (the "Russian strain")-The Yellowstone elk herd once numbered 37,000 animals-Wolves are killing the elk herd in the West as a whole-Wolves reproduce and increase 70% even after hunting has been allowed and on and on. Oh yeah, and the guys that think we can shoot our way out of this. Hate them with a passion, but it doesn't hurt to know the facts. mtmuley
Muley, Not sure what is meant by the "Yellowstone Herd" If it encompasses 2 or 3 sub herds like the Northern Herd, maybe 37,000 animals is correct. As for the rest of it, you're always gonna have folks that buy into and spread the wives tales. I'm not going to let that distract me. The real facts are bad enough. And most of us are aware of the fact that we will not be able effectively control them with traditional hunting and trapping methods... coyotes being case and point.

My focus will be on controlling and eradicating wolves which I will do here, on facebook, in the voting booth and with a rifle.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

So if "traditional" hunting and trapping methods won't work, what will? mtmuley
Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
I live in Alaska, the average Wolf up here weights 140 to 175 lbs. Occasionally a 180 to 200 pounder will show up, but they are rare.

Five or more Wolves will attack humans. I'm waiting for the kids and women to start becoming Wolf Food. Campers, Hikers, Mt Bikers, Fishermen, And Lone Hunters. It's coming folks, just give them time.

This Spring the a Law Enforcement person and his partner had left their ATVs and walked about 50 yards to look over a ridge at the valley below. They turned and saw a pack of Wolves headed their way. Oh, Cool, they thought. They were watching as the seven animals came down the slope and turned in their direction. At about 60 yards the Wolves stopped coming forward and started circling the men. Oh SXXX our rifles are on the ATVs. The Wolves now blocked them from the ATVs. They realized they were now the hunted. As the wolves started growling and drawing the circle smaller, One of them remembered his Service Pistol. He pulled his Glock and started shooting in the air. The Wolves turned and started running away. His partner started yelling shoot the Wolves, not the sky. Too late the Wolves were in brush and making tracks. So just a warning Wolves can and will attack humans.
Good points Sourdough,

Wolves do not normally attack humans, mostly because of fear. If you go into the Park, wolves will allow themselves to be seen by people but usually keep a distance. I've done some back country skiing in the Park and once when I was coming down out of the hills I noticed some cow elk cutting across my trail right in front of me. They were scarred and not of me. So I looked to my right and about 200 yds off I see a black wolf moving up into the hills, then another and another, etc... it was what they called at the time the Agate pack. I had heard them howling about 30 minutes earlier down near the Lamar River/Slough Creek fork. There was no doubt they were aware of my presence. They were not interested in me nor were they concerned or afraid of me which is not the historic natural condition because man has always hunted wolves with intensity.

The fact that humans hunt and kill them will keep them at bay. But in areas where they are protected and not naturally hunted by man, it's only a matter of time until there will be a bad incident.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, and the guys that think we can shoot our way out of this. Hate them with a passion, but it doesn't hurt to know the facts. mtmuley
You might be reminded that the wolves were killed off one time already with a lot less technology then we have now!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So if "traditional" hunting and trapping methods won't work, what will? mtmuley
Traditional methods will keep them at bay to a limited degree. But as Rooster mentioned, we have more technology, like for instance, helicopters. I was talking with a chopper pilot just a couple weeks ago, whose primary business was culling of animals, including wolves and wild horses. Legal contracted culling. You could eradicate wolves with choppers in short order.

We need to put the pressure on to get current policies reversed.

~ John Quincy Adams