Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Why do so many people hate on wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Why do so many people hate on wolves?

Im from KS we don't have any large predators (unless you count the random cougar). So I am fairly ignorant of the subject, but I see tons of people talking about how wolves are the worst things since Feinstein. Why?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: Why do so many people hate on wolves?

They are capable of killing the largest game species excluding predators larger than themselves. If left unchecked they are quite capable of decimating game species, causing large losses to livestock farmers (including cows miscarrying even if otherwise not physically harmed) and otherwise undoing what hunters have spent decades establishing.

Here in MI, the DNR has taken to protecting coyotes by creating a season for hunting them and a relatively short night hunting season with very restrictive gun rules (shotgun or rimfire only). One needs to get a small game license unless the property has agricultural status. Wolves in this state just were removed from protected status and are now a game animal and one assumes there will probably be a lottery style process to get a tag and then only in those specific hunting units where the wolves are causing problems to agricultural activities.

The fact is that conservation officials regularly shoot wolves them from helicopters when they habitually prey on livestock, but no such protection exists for other game animals. Other than in national and some state parks, the habitat is not undisturbed and therefore it will not work to turn things over to nature in the prey/predator relationship, unless of course sportsmen want to be satisfied with taking just a fraction of the game they do today. Already, in upper MI the deer population is down drastically. Even in SE MI where I am not aware of any wolves, between coyotes and disease the deer numbers are way down. The 100 acre farm where i hunt is showing only 4 yearling does so far this year. 2 years ago there was a herd of over 40. Hunters on the farm have only taken 7 deer in the last 2 years and we have hardly had a winter in 3 years now. One would expect deer numbers to be way up under such conditions.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

I personally love wolves........ Then taste like chicken

Let's say you had grown up hunting an area your whole life, where you saw game every year, harvested animals most years. Then in just a few years After they introduce a new predator to the area you notice you are lucky to see an animal. Instead of game sign you find wolf track on every ridge line and hill top. Or you attempt to bugle up an elk but find instead you have 5 wolves that came to the call instead! Yeah I think you would have the same feelings we do out west. I think the worst part of it is knowing that if something does not change my kids will not have the same hunting experiences I was able have.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

They are killing machines, and will kill simply for the pleasure of watching things drop.
They cause many hundreds of thousands of dollars of losses to states in terms of revenue lost from the populations of game being wiped out, as well as livestock killed, maimed or aborted from them.
I raise livestock and have seen what wolves to do animals, just like coyotes that chew off a sheep's face and eat them alive, wolves will hamstring a moose, elk or cow and eat them alive. Trust me, you only have to see that once to lose alot of respect for them. Not to mention the pets they kill each year, many dogs, especially lion hounds, get shredded each year by them.
I don't want to see them wiped out, but if there were no more wolves outside the park as a tourist trap, i wouldn't mind one bit.
If you live with something, it takes the romance out of it REAL fast. That is why those of us out here would be planty happy to box up all the critters here and freight them back east to the people that said they wanted them!
End rant.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

Wow I didnt realize how bad they suck! Just to be clear did you say that they kill for pleasure? Without intention of eating? or do they show restraint if not hungry?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanm70 View Post
Wow I didnt realize how bad they suck! Just to be clear did you say that they kill for pleasure? Without intention of eating? or do they show restraint if not hungry?
Ask the Rancher down by Dillon Montana that had all his (sheep) Rams in one pasture and the wolves killed 120 of them in one killing spree. It was killing for sport, on private land, from a life long raised sheep heard, nothing to do with wolves being hungry. Just doing what wolves do best, killing.

http://helenair.com/news/local/state...cc4c03286.html

Jeff
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Yep, I have come across deer that have been run down on the open snow in the mountains and killed, as many as they could run down, then leave them where they lay.

I know people near Augusta that have had the same situation as Broz just posted, they just love to slaughter sheep!