Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

What is working to locate or attract wolves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: What is working to locate or attract wolves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
Damn it you need more back up members. I offer my experience they are never exactly consistant, but I have found they have certain avenues of travel and escape. I also know that if you can hear them howling and get as close as possible before you howl it gives them less time to investigate you, or get down wind. Everyone probably knows this, but it seams that they will sit down and howl for quite a little while, and the ground will be just matted with tracks. This "randevous spot" will often be in the same area on a ridge or knob. Around here they love to travel through burns and small logged areas within the timber. Can a guy get a horse through the timber, or is it too thick or blown down?
Good luck ventilating mutts
It might not matter, if 6x6 is hunting the 101 zone, it closes tonight at midnight. As far as most of the 101 zone, it's a mix of heavy timber and areas you can travel on horseback. There's quite a few logging roads etc that are best accessed on horses, but it's pretty tight once you get off most of the roads. The southern bit of it opens up pretty well, but is a bit harder to get to. We've got a ton of rescent burns too. But it looks like a guy would have to go elsewhere to fill a tag till next season. West of 101 would be a good bet.
Cody