Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

we hated the elk counting whirly bird today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

we hated the elk counting whirly bird today

After many miles of tracking today, and finally finding 6 wolves laying in a basin 700 yards away, a young man at the ripe age of 12 was the man on the trigger today. It was perfect until the big yellow plane and yellow and blue helicopter came in and ran the wolves away. This took place on private land 1 mile from any elk that were the reason the elk counting aircraft were flying.
The young man is deadly at 500 yards and with a short stalk these wolves were screwed! Oh I am so mad and the boys father was wild! The plane banked just above and you could see the wolf loving biologist's eyes they were so close!
what a shame!

I was going to have such an awesome story for everyone tonight! Instead it was pee eye double s ed away on aviation fuel by our Montana Fish and Game!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: we hated the elk counting whirly bird today

Don't be mad at the pilots, assuming they weren't also also the biologists. They are paid to fly and backcountry flying work is hard to come by.

Sorry the youngster lost the opportunity. I'd be hacked off too.

(A pilot sticking up for other pilots)
Old 02-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Gold Member

What a bunch of crap! Sorry to hear of about the young guy getting screwed. You boys should file a formal complaint with FWP. Don't drop it at the front desk either, drop it at the dept. heads desk, and mention that you're on the way to talk with the newspaper as well. It might not help you guys, but it might help the next guy they think about messing with. When stories like this get out, it fuels the fire. FWP can't afford too much more bad press over the wolf issue, especially a story about "elk researchers" purposely messing with wolf hunters, one of which is a young guy.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Rooster, that is the pits. Too bad, it would have been nice for a couple of them to have gone to the happy hunting grounds. If it was done on purpose, for sure file a complaint, if not, well **** happens. I've had more than one stalk ruined by atv's.

Randy

Don't give up---go and git em!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Bronze Member

Sounds like it might have been the USDA. They take care of a lot (stuffed) animals out of thoses whirlybirds. Sorry to hear about the hunt.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

You should be talking to the papers,local TV,and RMEF!!
The only way for evil to prevail is for good men to do nuthing......
Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 PM

That sucks I would be pretty lit, especially if they ran the wolves off on purpose. Definitely file a complaint and make sure you tell the landowner to file a complaint as well. You might also be able to get them for harassing game(its a long shot), but the bigger stink you make the more traction you will get. I might have accidentally .