Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

side arm for wolf protection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Gold Member

Re: side arm for wolf protection

I know a few women that pack 44 mags but more that pack 357s or auto loaders.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:39 AM
Silver Member

Oh you bunch of brutes! Just talk to the poor animal! I saw it on tv, it works amazing! Hell if a wart hog and a lion can be friends on tv then what are you all so damn scared about?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:04 AM
Silver Member

Going on hunt in the selway this fall. Wolf tag in hand. Plan on packing my .06 and 4.25 barrel 1911 on my side. 8+1 rounds of 230 gr +p. rooster if I see the warthog out there shall I tell him you say hello!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM1980 View Post
Going on hunt in the selway this fall. Wolf tag in hand. Plan on packing my .06 and 4.25 barrel 1911 on my side. 8+1 rounds of 230 gr +p. rooster if I see the warthog out there shall I tell him you say hello!
Ah that was just some mid summer jibber jabber. I am more of the type to run ol warthog thru with the skewer and put him on a slow spin over some coals!
Get that tag out of your pocket in a hurry! Put it on the prettiest dead wolf in the pile!
Good luck hunting!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 AM

I'm surprised no one posting here has been to Buffalo Bore's website and read Tim Sundle's q&a on handguns and bears. According to him, a heavy, flatnosed, non-expanding bullet in 9mm will put down a grizz, but you have to be cool-headed, and shoot it in the head. When I'm in bear/wolf/lion country, I wear my XD 40 5" loaded with hardcast 180's at 1200. If my wife was going into same, she would carry a 9mm with 147 hardcasts at 1050. I recommend a 9 or 357 with heavy, non-expanding bullets for your lady. IF she has to shoot, make her shots count. These 2 come in ideal platforms for a woman on an outing.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:52 AM
Silver Member

When deer hunting this year in unit 56, the night before opening day we were out scouting and came across a moose out in a small marsh just off the road. It was dusk... Just getting grey when we got out of the truck to take a look. My nephew... Who has just a little too much juice starts walking over towards the moose while I'm telling him he's nuts... And to get his butt back to the truck. About that time... The moose busts it away from us towards a thicket and my nephew says..."Hey... There's another moose... Up there by that quaking aspen and pine tree." I pull up my binocs and thought I was looking at a burned out tree trunk... Perhaps one that got some lightening damage and I was just about to look off further to the right when that blackened tree trunk turned it's head. It was a huge black wolf... I mean big. It's the first wolf we'd seen as we had heard that there weren't any south of the snake river. Well... I beg to differ. We had left our rifles at camp so there would be no confusion with F&G, but I was incredibly disappointed not to have had it at that moment. It was probably 120 or so yards, but I can tell you that I would definitely want a 357 mag or my 45 if I came across another sample like that. That was not what I was thinking when I pictured wolves in Idaho. It was freaking enormous. As opposed to a handgun, I'm thinking a 12 gauge semi with slugs and/or 00 buck would have me feeling more comfortable.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

Oh... Btw... We've been hunting here in south central Idaho for the better par of 30 plus years. Only in the last few have we seen moose this far west in the desert mountains and plains. It our firm belief that the wolves in the eastern portion of the state are pushing the moose further west, but it appears the wolves are coming this way also.