Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

See a wolf... what would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: See a wolf... what would you do?

To whom it may concern,

Be it known that I have changed my previous position.

If there are game or bovine in the same section as said seen woof, and I feel reasonably alone, it being a nice quiet day, I'll take the shot.

Attested to, here and now, by me.

My mark: X
Old 12-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmc2 View Post

My opinion. And that is all it is… my opinion. Wolves have a role the Rocky Mountain ecosystem. If managed well and numbers are kept at low sustainable levels they can help control populations of animals inside Yellowstone and prevent overpopulation and disease in that eco-system. I like the Wyoming Wolf Management plan which would allow a hunting season on wolves in the “Greater Yellowstone Eco-system”. Beyond this area the wolf would be designated as a predator and taken at will. I believe the current population is to high and well beyond original goals. This is leading to devastation of ungulate herds in some areas (see Idaho elk harvest graph)
I would fully agree that the native wolf has a place in the area here, they never were completely gone and had a fine population until they were irradiated by the gray wolf, the gray wolf did in a couple short years what millions of dollars and poison did not! The problem with the native wolf was it was not publicly visible, people think that what they see in Yellowstone is normal so they think they should be able to see wolves and hear them, the native wolf was much like the mountain lion and you had to spend serious time in the mountains if you wanted to see them or hear them and that doesn't put money and power into peoples pockets so the native wolf was removed for a more popular version.

I think we're in for a management nightmare, when I was helping trap a lot of coyotes we would kill them down till we started catching older females, males and young go first in the populations so we were killing a good percentage but what happens is the litters and health of the coyotes increased greatly thus the great renewable resource. It's very hard to kill predators of this nature in a way that actually decreases the numbers, even coyotes we'd have to use getters and denning to seriously impact the numbers. At the levels we're killing wolves now we're just making them healthier!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Bronze Member

well said Phorwath, we need to be responsible hunters. There is enough bad press for hunters the way it is. The wolves can be managed effectively just as any other game animal. Don' let your emotions get in the way. Think with your head.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamphunter View Post
well said Phorwath, we need to be responsible hunters. There is enough bad press for hunters the way it is. The wolves can be managed effectively just as any other game animal. Don' let your emotions get in the way. Think with your head.
How do you manage an apex predator from an other ecosystem that is introduced into an other. I feel far less emotion on this subject than you do, it's plain and simple common sense, we had wolves, elk, moose and deer in abundance with little issues then they introduce this wolf through the Federal Park system and it spreads and wipes out everything, and becomes a serious issue, don't need emotion to link that together. It does become emotional when they come into your yard and rip your family pet apart in front of you kids like has happened here!!! It the attitude of bend over and take it to make nice that has hurt hunters not standing up and fighting for native wildlife and hunting rights.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
How do you manage an apex predator from an other ecosystem that is introduced into an other. I feel far less emotion on this subject than you do, it's plain and simple common sense, we had wolves, elk, moose and deer in abundance with little issues then they introduce this wolf through the Federal Park system and it spreads and wipes out everything, and becomes a serious issue, don't need emotion to link that together. It does become emotional when they come into your yard and rip your family pet apart in front of you kids like has happened here!!! It the attitude of bend over and take it to make nice that has hurt hunters not standing up and fighting for native wildlife and hunting rights.

+1 and very well said

Jeff
Old 12-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Bronze Member

I live in Minnesota, we have far more wolves than you have and while there are pockets of depredation problems there are also places where there are no problems. I find it hard to believe that your wildlife is being wiped out by a handful of wolves.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamphunter View Post
I live in Minnesota, we have far more wolves than you have and while there are pockets of depredation problems there are also places where there are no problems. I find it hard to believe that your wildlife is being wiped out by a handful of wolves.
I will tell you a secret; it is my experience that wolves do not like deer. They like elk sheep moose then stinky deer.
I will make you an offer. You put in for an overpriced Montana elk, deer and wolf, license, and I will take you hunting on the north border and within 40 miles of Yellowstone Park, free! I also bet you that your ass gets really sore before you kill a 300 bull elk or bigger. I will also bet that you see lots of really hungry bears out of their den way longer than normal and a few tracks from a "hand full" of tuned up wolves. This was a world renowned area for great big bulls and a lot of them.
Next we will drive into several human populated areas that have lots of elk and deer and moose, they are the smart game animals that live in town now to stay alive. Yellowstone used to be full of elk and on a summer or fall drive you could see and study hundreds of elk. Now the only large bunches of elk you see are in Mammoth and other populated areas.
My next opinion is people do not be offering game management suggestions about an area that they have zero knowledge about. If you do not know the history of, or spend a bunch of time in an area, how can you have any valid input? So I am here to help you. This is the deal. You pay a truck load of money for a license, and I will take you on the hunt of a life time. You can only shoot a 300 inch or bigger bull elk, good luck seeing a deer but if the rare chance presents itself for a 24 inch or bigger mule deer buck have at it. Wolves are fair game and bring bear spray of your choice; I prefer 12 gauge 00buck.
The only other obligation you have is to write an extensive article to be published in at least 3 pro-hunting publications.