Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

See a wolf... what would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
Re: See a wolf... what would you do?

Jmden,
Been out of town for a bit and just saw your question. I don't know much about BGF to be honest. i am all for any organization that keeps us apprised of issues related to our sport and tries to stay on top of things, but lets be realistic here. Like you said , the whole wolf issue is fraught with such emotion that there would have to be hearings into the next century before it is ever done again.
Personally, I think that the issue of access to our public lands is of paramount importance right now and that is what we need to be fighting for. As you can see from the thread about the ATV access in Co, it is also an emotionally charged issue. What I see happening with this is the old divide and conquer strategy. Get us fighting amongst ourselves about what is right/wrong and then make decisions that hurt us all. AJ
Old 03-11-2012, 02:46 AM

BANG!!!..........bye bye
Old 03-11-2012, 11:24 AM

Go to Yellowstone and count the number of smaller animals you can see. I know there is still a bunch of Bison , I am talking elk , moose and smaller. Last time i was there , I saw elk in large numbers in Mammoth( in town, No wolves) and saw a few in the western part of the Lamar valley. Maybe 10 or 12. I seen one mule deer in 3 days. I dont know if there are even enough moose left to count a population. Compare those numbers to the the numbers of the year before the feds pet puppies showed up. 19,000 elk in northern yellowstone down to 4,200( official winter count 2010 , go find even a small number out of town ) As far as what i would do if i saw a wolf. Bang flop ,BYE BYE!!!!!! I don't eat dog but sure enjoy elk steaks. 60 million dollars is alot of money to spend of sportsmans money to get rid of some of the finest wild game herds in this country.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:05 PM

watch the " crying wolf " movie
Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260James View Post
watch the " crying wolf " movie
Crying Wolf is a huge favorite around here! I lived in Belgrade for years, and thus, hit the Park all the time. Now, it's not even the same place. It looks the same, but you see maybe a third the critters you did in the early 90s. Even the amount of deer hit on the roads around there is half what it used to be. Hope it isn't representative of what's to come for the rest of Montana.

Cody
Old 03-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

Another show, if you guys haven't seen it, is 'Yellowstone is Dead'.

Can be purchased here: Yellowstone is Dead — Welcome

Trailers:

About 2 hours and goes into more worthwhile detail, but is probably harder to follow for the unitiated, than Crying Wolf.

I've got a copy of both shows and loan them out as much as possible. A guy at work who didn't know anything about the wolf controversy actually watched 'Yellowstone is Dead' with me and was ready to contribute on the spot to the Friends of the Northern Yellowstone Elk Herd:

FOTNYEH - Friends of the Northern Yellowstone Elk Herd

These guys are trying to take this issue of the Northern Yellowstone elk herd decline, from about 20,000 to about 4,000 head in the past few years clearly at the hands of wolves, all the way to the US Supreme Court. They may just do it. There are some, even here, who may not appreciate some of the main players involved in Friends of the Northern Yellowstone Elk Herd, but at least they are doing something.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

The whole 'Crying Wolf' movie can be watched here:

Crying Wolf

Quite a bit of other content at this site as well.

Buy a copy or two and circulate. Get the word out!

Trailers:

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl