Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

See a wolf... what would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Bronze Member

See a wolf... what would you do?

Im from Wyoming and will be hunting in the Gros Ventre this fall. The area I hunt is home to a pack of 14 wolves. Wyomings wolf management plan is trying to work its way through the courts. It the meantime Wolves are still a protected species. What would you do if you saw a wolf while hunting?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: See a wolf... what would you do?

I am not sure people will want to answer this question on a public forum. I myself would make sure they look healthy and take them some doggy treats for Christmas.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I am not sure people will want to answer this question on a public forum. I myself would make sure they look healthy and take them some doggy treats for Christmas.
Ha Ha... you may be right?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Platinum Member

I'd shoot one if there was a hunting season. Other than that I'd enjoy the observation. I expect to be in the minority here based on quite a few threads I've read. I've lived and hunted in the presence of wolves for 33 years now. I don't view them as public enemy, or hunter enemy #1. Some of the States where they're being introduced could be too wolf lovey dovey until they get some more time and experience managing them with a hunting season, and providing some balanced means to harvest the most problematic wolves.

I find it perplexing that so many climb on board the only good wolf is a dead wolf train. I've snared a number of them during Alaska's trapping season in years gone by. But driving any species to extinction is pretty contradictory to the message I think hunters ought to be broadcasting. And contradictory to the positive 'management of the animal resource by controlled regulated hunting' message that has been established since around the 1930s.

If State Fish & Game Departments are allowed to manage their fish & wildlife resources without too much political influence, they by and large eventually find and adopt a reasonably balanced approach to most fish and wildlife management issues.

Last edited by phorwath; 12-23-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I always have some "treats" loaded up for them just in case.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

If I had a tag and if I could make the shot, I'd take it.

If there were no season open I'd shoot with a Cannon D5, zoom lens and take some video also.

I would also GPS the location and publish the info in several local news papers and email all locals on my list.

I'd then simply sit back and listen to the quiet. . .

I'm not a law breaker but don't expect others to live up to my high standards.

Heck's fire, all we want is effective regulation.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmc2 View Post
Im from Wyoming and will be hunting in the Gros Ventre this fall. The area I hunt is home to a pack of 14 wolves. Wyomings wolf management plan is trying to work its way through the courts. It the meantime Wolves are still a protected species. What would you do if you saw a wolf while hunting?

I would obey whatever laws are in place. With that said Wyoming needs to get off the pot and get their wolf management program in place so hunters can hunt them.

Responsible management is necessary!

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein