Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Professional Hunter to Remove Idaho Wolves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: Professional Hunter to Remove Idaho Wolves

Read the book that I mention in this section under another thread. The attorney that is primarily responsible for the state management has some good ideas. He thinks the tide is gradually turning and that more people favor management for all wildlife instead of just one. We just need to get the word out that wolves are destroying our deer, elk and moose.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idelkslayer View Post
Reasonable has gotten us to the point where Idaho is now calling the shots. Reasonable has given us hunting seasons and trapping seasons, as along as we continue being reasonable we will retain management control. 0

You are right, we shouldn't have been reasonable back when this whole thing started but that was then, it's a whole different beast now.
Respectfully disagree, an Idaho Governor going on record, and ordering a shut down of the cooperation the state previously afforded USFWS, and a midterm election of folks that threatened USFWS budget, were the causative factors of the agency removing themselves from the lawsuit to stop de-listing.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:44 PM

There are only a handful of folks who can find and trap wolves! It is not as easy as putting on your hunting boots and walking in the woods.

I personally believe that state wide permits should be offered to hunters to swrink this wolf population period. The putting of a bandage (hiring a trapper) is not going to get the job done state wide.

Most people who don't live on a ranch or get into the dark timber, have no clue as what a pack of wolfs can do during the year. The numbers would shock most people, as to how many deer, elk, sheep etc that they kill.

Why those wolf's don't even have to kill an animal, just the chasing them around all day costs the rancher big bucks come time to ship their cattle, sheep etc. I don't say kill them all, why heck no gents. I do say let them have a breeding pair for every 350 square miles!!! Then sell tags to local hunters to keep them in check!
Old 09-09-2014, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

The saddest part of this whole equatIon is the human factor. When we try to mess with mo nature... She gives us a swift kick in the ass to remind us who's boss. Transplanting these wolves, which never did roam the Idaho landscape, was folly from the very beginning, but no, they knew better. This breed of wolf is happy to kill animals for sport. Many fallen prey have been repeatably recovered that haven't even been consumed... just left to rot. With deer and elk populations falling like they are, and wolves spreading into new territory, like they have, tension is going to increase until the pendulum swings in the other direction. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and the more hunters, ranchers and other common citizenry get to the point of being pissed off about the damage wolves cause to herds, pets and eventually god forbid, some campers children, the pressure that results will spur those sitting in power to change direction on the wolf issue, regardless of funding.

It's just a matter of time. A couple of years ago, there weren't any reports of wolves south of the Snake river, however that is changing. We saw a wolf the night before open season on deer down at Sublett Reservoir and after talking to some other hunters afterwards, they've been seeing them there and elsewhere in the southern region for over a year.

I've got two tags in my wallet, and any wolf that crosses our path this year will be eating dirt. Like concealed carry permits, more hunters need to have a wolf tag in their wallets at all times, or two.

That's my honest opinion on the matter.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

I've got two tags in my wallet, and any wolf that crosses our path this year will be eating dirt. Like concealed carry permits, more hunters need to have a wolf tag in their wallets at all times, or two.

Yes hunters need to gutshoot the first two then tag the next two...
Old 09-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Perhaps the biggest myth of all, perpetuated by wolf lovers, is that the wolf is endangered and or threatened in North America....it is not. However, most Americans do not seem to know that....wonder why?