Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Professional Hunter to Remove Idaho Wolves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Professional Hunter to Remove Idaho Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varminteer View Post
Thanks Harperc, good point about trying to find them in heavy timber areas. Not to mention trying to fly between steep mountains without kissing the ground.
NWMT would be hard to fly and spott wolf in a majority is steep and well timbered.But some areas it would work.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Bronze Member

I take it my comment about trapping was somewhat boneheaded.
I was just going from my experience 40 years ago trapping red fox, and trying to get a coyote, way to smart for me

Also, just their lust for fresh meat, and being a pack animal, I just can't imagine one of the pack getting itself in trouble over a 4 day old gut pile.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

I myself wouldn't consider aerial gunning as a reasonable means of canine control in those mountains. Plenty of people in those parts know or know of, someone who's died or at least gone down in an aircraft. If you can find a pilot who's nuts enough to do it I doubt you'd find someone willing to sit next to him.

Sometimes the old ways are the best.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Concerning flying for wolves:

Having lived and hunted those mountains for three decades I can say for a fact you cannot fly them effectively. The down drafts are treacherous!

But in this new age of technology maybe a different approach:

Remote Control Drones with IR cameras on board to peer through the foliage. Warm critters show up real good in winter. Fur is better too. Nobody is going to cry if the down drafts hurl a drone into the rocks.

KB
Old 12-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Bronze Member

It seems to me like they (IDFG) are trying to put us hunters minds' at ease a bit by dropping this professional hunter into the backwoods in pursuit of these mutts.

I'd like to know - can one man really make a dent in the population? I say send an entire team in to get the job done....then move farther north to take care of the growing problem in the avery idaho area. (big creek drainage, red ives, etc)

Sadly, i think its too late. I hope the elk heard can surive, we cant even kill cows anymore.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Idaho Hunter View Post
It seems to me like they (IDFG) are trying to put us hunters minds' at ease a bit by dropping this professional hunter into the backwoods in pursuit of these mutts.

I'd like to know - can one man really make a dent in the population? I say send an entire team in to get the job done....then move farther north to take care of the growing problem in the avery idaho area. (big creek drainage, red ives, etc)

Sadly, i think its too late. I hope the elk heard can surive, we cant even kill cows anymore.
I think your probably right. I couldn't tell you what's going on in their heads but it seems to me like a pilot program to see if they like it. IDFG has a bit of a history hiring out private contractors for predator control. Mostly due to their own inexperience of how to manage an outsourced contractor, they had some bad press and may be a little shy of going full bore. I'm glad they're still thinking outside the box and I hope this program meets their expectations so it can be expanded.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Idaho Hunter View Post

I'd like to know - can one man really make a dent in the population? I say send an entire team in to get the job done....
One man will do OK if it's the right person, and they leave him alone. If it's truly a control hunt he needs to be there thru the denning season.

Areas outside the wilderness where a trapper can use a snowmobile and haul more bait would be a good idea also.