Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Professional Hunter to Remove Idaho Wolves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Professional Hunter to Remove Idaho Wolves

For those of you that think this is a much needed, solid plan to manage all wildlife successfully and not just one animal, a quick e-mail to the Idaho F&G telling them of your support would be much appreciated.

Like many government organizations, the Idaho Fish and Game has been infiltrated with a number of people that really don't understand what true wildlife management or conservation is. They are very much agenda driven, trained by the wonderful liberal colleges that all of our children get to attend these days. Many detrimental concepts and strategies have been implemented into the F&G. It appears some are being slowly fixed, now that the evidence is so overwhelming that nobody can disregard the massive drop in big game numbers, but it will be a continued battle for all of our state wildlife agencies. We are all still fighting a battle when it comes to all of this and we need to support each other in this fight.

Idaho Fish and Game - Contact Us

Scot E.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo-2 View Post
I'm not questioning you here, but trapping coyotes can be unproductive. I'd think a wolf, who waste more meat than they consume, will be a tough sell for a trapper with dead bait.
Someone enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Some flying is coming to mind.
Who told you that trapping coyotes can be unproductive? A good trapper can put a hurt on coyotes. They are not that difficult if you know what you are doing. Coyotes can be virtually eliminated from given areas, until more move in. Wolves could be a bit tougher, but are very trappable. Just ask the Alaska trappers that catch them every winter.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
For those of you that think this is a much needed, solid plan to manage all wildlife successfully and not just one animal, a quick e-mail to the Idaho F&G telling them of your support would be much appreciated.

Like many government organizations, the Idaho Fish and Game has been infiltrated with a number of people that really don't understand what true wildlife management or conservation is. They are very much agenda driven, trained by the wonderful liberal colleges that all of our children get to attend these days. Many detrimental concepts and strategies have been implemented into the F&G. It appears some are being slowly fixed, now that the evidence is so overwhelming that nobody can disregard the massive drop in big game numbers, but it will be a continued battle for all of our state wildlife agencies. We are all still fighting a battle when it comes to all of this and we need to support each other in this fight.

Idaho Fish and Game - Contact Us

Scot E.

I sent an email in favor of any & all wolf control measures and asking for year-round wolf hunting.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo-2 View Post
I'm not questioning you here, but trapping coyotes can be unproductive. I'd think a wolf, who waste more meat than they consume, will be a tough sell for a trapper with dead bait.
Someone enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Some flying is coming to mind.
A trapper friend of mine trapped 65 coyotes within a5 mile radius of my house.2 hunter friends with no success shooting each trapped 2 last year. Neither trappers have to take or MT course. I personally met a wolf control guy for ranchers and he had alot of dead dogs on his phone. He gets to set up on edges of ranches more open shooting and fresh cattle kills are watched and wolfs shot as well as trapping, for him flying is a option also.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:07 AM

Why don't they just use an airplane or helicopter to control wolf populations? Would seem a lot more efficient than one hired gun/trapper on the ground?

Using an airplane here in Northern Arizona they killed about 200 coyotes over a 2 year program to help the deer and antelope populations just in one hunt unit. It was not cheap, but then nothing is these days.

Also, some parts of Utah have a bounty on Coyotes.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Varminteer;895980]Why don't they just use an airplane or helicopter to control wolf populations? Would seem a lot more efficient than one hired gun/trapper on the ground?

QUOTE]
Aerial gunning can be effective in some places, others not so much. One of Idaho's first efforts from the air they actually targeted a collared wolf, they knew exactly where it was, but weren't able to see it.

In some places trapping is the most productive. Provided they turn the fellow loose, and don't try to micro manage him based on the last headline.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:35 AM

Thanks Harperc, good point about trying to find them in heavy timber areas. Not to mention trying to fly between steep mountains without kissing the ground.