Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Professional Hunter to Remove Idaho Wolves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Gold Member

Professional Hunter to Remove Idaho Wolves

Idaho Fish and Game turns to hired hunter | Environment | Idahostatesman.com

It's high time Idaho F&G handed this job over to private industry. I hope they're paying him plenty and especially hope they get out of his way and let him do his job. The only fault I see is the ridiculously small scale they're executing this program on.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Professional Hunter to Remove Idaho Wolves

I wish him well and I hope he stays warm as it's been colder than hell here. I'd be real curious on how he does and what kinds of methods he uses along with his firearms.

Randy

Go get em Gus!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 12-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

Methods are hard to say. I have to think certain permits are issued which expand his methods beyond what is available to the average sport hunter, and rightfully so. Just speculation on my part though. They need 20 more just like him.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

I'm guessing it'll be trapping mostly, not to say he won't be gunning but I just don't see how he'd be effective without trapping. That dip$hit who was bitching about it in mccall needs to get a clue!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Silver Member

40K+ Elk herd decimated to <4K and now they (F&G) are wakening up? Your future in Government Healthcare! How about year round season with a 10 tag limit? Keep a harvest record like WA State does for Dungeness crab and such.

My real question is, at what point has the elk herd been reduced so far that the recovery becomes problematical? Did the "wolf experts" ever talk to the "elk experts"? Did any of the reports on elk herd reductions get deleted or have a "correction factor" applied to them?

My gut feeling is that things are bad, very bad, for the elk herd in Idaho. This move by Idaho F&G smells like desperate C.Y.A. for every bureaucrat up the food chain.

But, I could be wrong........................................ No, I'm not!!!

KB
Old 12-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennibear View Post
40K+ Elk herd decimated to <4K and now they (F&G) are wakening up? Your future in Government Healthcare! How about year round season with a 10 tag limit? Keep a harvest record like WA State does for Dungeness crab and such.

My real question is, at what point has the elk herd been reduced so far that the recovery becomes problematical? Did the "wolf experts" ever talk to the "elk experts"? Did any of the reports on elk herd reductions get deleted or have a "correction factor" applied to them?

My gut feeling is that things are bad, very bad, for the elk herd in Idaho. This move by Idaho F&G smells like desperate C.Y.A. for every bureaucrat up the food chain.

But, I could be wrong........................................ No, I'm not!!!

KB
Yep.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

I'm thinking that it's a lot of MY tax dollars being spent that should have never been, but it's a problem that was way out of hand long ago.

I think it would help if all were allowed to hunt them like we can hunt coyotes...all year long!!!