Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Plse Help a MT. Wolf hunter out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Plse Help a MT. Wolf hunter out

Headin out way early Monday am for a two day hunt. Any recent sightings?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 02-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

If your wanting to travel alil( I don't know Montanas units at all) call over to the hole in the wall...a friend of mine that lives in Lolo used to work there and hunts elk up there, no elk left just wolves.....
Old 02-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Jeff were you able to get out this week? I am hoping for a last ditch effort this weekend. I heard of some tracks way back in taylors fork but you need a sled ( I dont have)

I bet none of you have a .234 (6mm rem necked to .234)
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

Here is one from the Ennis area. I am going back to the area on a big coyote hunt Sunday,my horse needs some exercise. I have a couple numbers to call if I see anything
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Plse Help a MT. Wolf hunter out-img952012020595085349.jpg  
Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Glad to see someone is doing their part to put down some wolves, I've been skunked all season and there is zippo snow down here to help with tracks. I'm giving it one last ditch effort tomorrow, I got a hot tip today on a pack that has been in the same spot in the road twice this week crossing and I know where they are headed, found the elk this evening and got permission from every ranch owner in the valley.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Bigngreen,
Talk to Hans, from the split diamond. Thier permits are next to where Cory, & Brad run cows, But thier main ranch is in Whitehall, near Ennis, if memory serves me correct.
Then go get Broz, & Rooster740, & kill every single one you see.
(some memories of exactly where things are from Mt. in my cowboy days are a bit "fuzzy". It's not like we got a lot of days off. When we got a day off, we drank all the way to Butte, & back..... It's a wonder I don't look like ol Donnie Thompson from Thompsons Corner)
Speaking of Thompsons Corner (near Dewey) have you talked with Dexter? (the trapper with a tooth). Last I saw him he was sitting by the fire in Thompsons, skinning a beaver. He'd know where to go look.... Asuming he ain't dead already. Used to drive a beat up ol Blazer with the fenderwells cut away with a torch. Called it his "Humm-B"..... But maybe he really thought it was a hummer, & I just couldn't understand him well when his tooth got in the way of his pronunciation.... I was in a bar afterall, & ....well... Dexter is a littel "off"...
Man I'm glad I lived long enough to grow up a bit, even if ever so slightly. My liver is glad too! I do miss Mt. tho.
Good Luck

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
Here is one from the Ennis area. I am going back to the area on a big coyote hunt Sunday,my horse needs some exercise. I have a couple numbers to call if I see anything
So thats the blood trail we followed out for 2 1/2 miles. Thanks for posting the pics. it is nice to see what the trail was from. And thanks for the tip too. I am sitting here this weekend if any of you need help dragging.

Jeff -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------