Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting


Reply

Outsider looking in

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 12-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NW Mt.
Posts: 600
Re: Outsider looking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamphunter View Post
As an ethical hunter that statement is really ignorant. That kind of thinking are why the anti hunters have made so many inroads against hunting. If the wolf numbers are controlled there can be game for everyone, wolves included. I figure that wolf has as much right to eat as do I. I have been hunting deer in Minnesota my whole life, competing with the wolf. I think me and my long range weapon match up just fine with the wolf.
I have not one intention of kissing up to any antis. They are our enemies period. Try
standing up to them instead of appeasing. And wolves have no rights, they are animals.
Try reading the bill of rights, they are God given to men, not animals.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,236
Re: Outsider looking in

[QUOTE=Swamphunter;589768]As an ethical hunter that statement is really ignorant. That kind of thinking are why the anti hunters have made so many inroads against hunting.
I've heard appeasement preached in many situations-never seen it work yet. The inroads made by anti-hunters is strictly do to a lack of organized resistance willing to out the liars. I've heard the hunting groups preach appeasement for 30years, NRA and RMEF to name a couple could have altered this fight, but were to busy fund raising. To give credit most sportsmens groups were doing hands on-on the ground work that benefits wildlife. Of course anti groups don't spend their money on these projects. Fact is when it came to the wolf, money was stolen from Pittman-Robertson funds-HUnters-Sportsmen-Wildlife. Talk to me about the ethics, of lying, stealing, and violating the law that's occurred putting this non invasive species in our midst, and why you aren't angry about it?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 31
Re: Outsider looking in

Yeah kill them all, seems to me that has been done before and now it is back for round 2, we also killed how many million bison, eliminated elk from how many states? so many that now we have only a hand ful left to hunt them, and lets not mention caribou from the northern states, and the Moose used to be more widely distributed. I ain't appeassing any anti hunters, I am just not willing to wipe out a whole population of animals. Not for you and not for anyone else. I have actively battled anti hunters. I have written to PETA and the humane society telling them that while they think the are helping the wolf they are in fact actually hurting them because when they keep filing lawsuits to keep the wolf on the endangered list people get pissed and start taking matters into their own hands. So I don't need you to tell me about anti-hunters as I am well aware.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,454
Re: Outsider looking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamphunter View Post
As an ethical hunter that statement is really ignorant. That kind of thinking are why the anti hunters have made so many inroads against hunting. If the wolf numbers are controlled there can be game for everyone, wolves included. I figure that wolf has as much right to eat as do I. I have been hunting deer in Minnesota my whole life, competing with the wolf. I think me and my long range weapon match up just fine with the wolf.
"12000 yards, 155mm howitzer took the heart right out of it, and the grove of trees it was standing in."

Your quote above from the poll here about your longest shot in the last year.

Is this the 'long range weapon' you mention above.
__________________
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,454
Re: Outsider looking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamphunter View Post
Yeah kill them all, seems to me that has been done before and now it is back for round 2, we also killed how many million bison, eliminated elk from how many states? so many that now we have only a hand ful left to hunt them, and lets not mention caribou from the northern states, and the Moose used to be more widely distributed. I ain't appeassing any anti hunters, I am just not willing to wipe out a whole population of animals. Not for you and not for anyone else. I have actively battled anti hunters. I have written to PETA and the humane society telling them that while they think the are helping the wolf they are in fact actually hurting them because when they keep filing lawsuits to keep the wolf on the endangered list people get pissed and start taking matters into their own hands. So I don't need you to tell me about anti-hunters as I am well aware.
We? You and I killed them all? I don't think so. That is swiss-cheese thinking. Subsistence hunters, but mostly commercial hunters and wolves, yes wolves, killed them 'all', as you say. Not us. Because 'us' are regulated sportsmen that for generations are responsible for the vast majority of the support for wildlife in this country, bringing much of it back to the abundant wildlife we have had.

From Defenders of Wildlife's own website! :

http://www.defenders.org/programs_an...d_recovery.php

"Habitat and Range

Bison once roamed across much of North America in great herds (see map). Historically, bison numbered an estimated 20-30 million. Their constant grazing helped shape the ecology of North America’s Great Plains. Many species of plants and animals depended on them or benefited from them. Prairie dogs preferred the heavily-grazed areas they left, large wolf packs hunted them, and numerous scavengers feasted on bison carcasses."

Now, there aren't, in general, subsistence or commercial hunters, just sportsman hunters. So, of the three things mentioned above that killed 'all' the bison, etc. What is left? The wolf. Happily introduced by the Feds.

That is great that you are battling the anti hunters, etc., but do your research and get on board with the wolf issue or show us good evidence to the contrary.
__________________
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 31
Re: Outsider looking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
We? You and I killed them all? I don't think so. That is swiss-cheese thinking. Subsistence hunters, but mostly commercial hunters and wolves, yes wolves, killed them 'all', as you say. Not us. Because 'us' are regulated sportsmen that for generations are responsible for the vast majority of the support for wildlife in this country, bringing much of it back to the abundant wildlife we have had.

From Defenders of Wildlife's own website! :

Bison Background and Recovery - Defenders of Wildlife

"Habitat and Range

Bison once roamed across much of North America in great herds (see map). Historically, bison numbered an estimated 20-30 million. Their constant grazing helped shape the ecology of North America’s Great Plains. Many species of plants and animals depended on them or benefited from them. Prairie dogs preferred the heavily-grazed areas they left, large wolf packs hunted them, and numerous scavengers feasted on bison carcasses."

Now, there aren't, in general, subsistence or commercial hunters, just sportsman hunters. So, of the three things mentioned above that killed 'all' the bison, etc. What is left? The wolf. Happily introduced by the Feds.

That is great that you are battling the anti hunters, etc., but do your research and get on board with the wolf issue or show us good evidence to the contrary.
The wolf didn't kill off the bison, a big part of the reason for killing off the bison was to take away the food from the Indians to force them to the reservations. Yes market hunters killed off alot of wildlife, most of it in fact.
The modern hunter has singlehandedly done more for wildlife than any other group or groups of people in the world.
And the modern hunter shouldn't now be in favor of wiping out any species of wildlife.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,454
Re: Outsider looking in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamphunter View Post
The wolf didn't kill off the bison, a big part of the reason for killing off the bison was to take away the food from the Indians to force them to the reservations. Yes market hunters killed off alot of wildlife, most of it in fact.
The modern hunter has singlehandedly done more for wildlife than any other group or groups of people in the world.
And the modern hunter shouldn't now be in favor of wiping out any species of wildlife.
No one said the wolf (single handedly) killed off the bison. Read my post again. But they certainly helped.

From p 65 of Jerry Keenan's book, 'The Life of Yellowstone Kelly':

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kelly, however, came to believe that those who reduced the wolf packs by poisoning actually provided a useful service to large animal herd management. 'It was said,' wrote Kelly,

[quote from Kelly] that wolves killed more buffalo than Indians and whites combined. I am convinced that the men engaged in poisoning wolves for their pelts rendered a good service in protection of herds of wild game. I have seen in the North bands of wolves numbering fifty or more traveling with noses up on the scent of buffaloes borne by the wind. They killed the young calves and hamstrung the cows and bulls. [unquote from Kelly]

It is often pointed out how the buffalo was the mainstay of the Plains tribes; how virtually every part of the animal contributed to Indian society in some way. In contrast, white hunters slaughtered the herds, taking only the hide and delicacies of the animal. Kelly recalled, though, that the Indian could be as wasteful as the white man--for example, killing buffalo cows 'for the unborn calves for the purpose of feasting, the cows being at that time of year poor in flesh and the robes by no means prime.' "

-------------------------------------------------------------

Something to consider, at least.
__________________
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?
0 to 200 yards - 25.96%
1,531 Vote
201 to 400 yards - 32.12%
1,894 Vote
401 to 600 yards - 23.08%
1,361 Vote
601 to 800 yards - 10.01%
590 Votes
801 to 1,000 yards - 3.92%
231 Votes
Over 1,000 yards - 4.92%
290 Votes
Total Votes: 5,897
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC