Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

MT wolf trapping class.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Bronze Member

Re: MT wolf trapping class.

Too bad you guys can not use snares. That's how most wolves are caught in Alaska. And we catch a lot of Wolves.

One guy I know will find where they are using snow machine trails. At a good location he will make a trail set with a trap in the middle of the trail. (That's the trigger). Then he will saturate the area with snares. He will put a snare everywhere a wolf can stick their heads, to go through the brush. If he has done everything right he will catch the entire pack.

Another guy I know lives just outside Denali park. he is always getting park wolves coming to his homestead and trying to kill his horses, especially when one of his mares fouls. He hangs snares from the lower rails of his horse corrals and he will catch one, two, or sometimes three, at a time.

Me I use a rifle, (25-06) I just don't have the time or inclination to set traps and snares.
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.