Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Montana's New Wolf Proposals....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Montana's New Wolf Proposals....

Ditto on the Calf report form North Idaho as in the Montana region mentioned. Our cow season has been severely limited and rightfully so because of the low calf and cow survival here. Its too bad it was not addressed earlier for better wolf control in ID and MT as we share wolves on the border country here. They dont recognize state lines and follow game herds anywhere they travel. I have recently found wolf killed deer within 1/2 mile of the lake Coeur d' Alene shore on the mid lake areas of the East side. That is in an area where presently, no wolf trapping is allowed. Much of Idaho had NO open season last year for trapping, hopefully they can expand some zones as it is sorely needed here. The Public numbers on wolves being fed out is considerably low according to the guys that do control work for the feds and the state here.

God, Guns, Guts and the American Fur Trade MADE America, Lets keep it that way!!!

Kids that Hunt Trap and Fish, DONT Mug Little old Ladies, Take them young ones outside and teach them, - For Life!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrapper1 View Post
Ditto on the Calf report form North Idaho as in the Montana region mentioned. Our cow season has been severely limited and rightfully so because of the low calf and cow survival here. Its too bad it was not addressed earlier for better wolf control in ID and MT as we share wolves on the border country here. They dont recognize state lines and follow game herds anywhere they travel. I have recently found wolf killed deer within 1/2 mile of the lake Coeur d' Alene shore on the mid lake areas of the East side. That is in an area where presently, no wolf trapping is allowed. Much of Idaho had NO open season last year for trapping, hopefully they can expand some zones as it is sorely needed here. The Public numbers on wolves being fed out is considerably low according to the guys that do control work for the feds and the state here.

God, Guns, Guts and the American Fur Trade MADE America, Lets keep it that way!!!

Kids that Hunt Trap and Fish, DONT Mug Little old Ladies, Take them young ones outside and teach them, - For Life!

trust me, I have seen evidence. This admin. would far rather have us begging in a food stamp line than being independant and free men
Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Silver Member

I lived in SW Montana, and have been in Idaho 11 years, I saw wolves many years before they did the "introduction" in the many areas I hunted in SW MT. I was in Cody WY living and working when they did it. In 3 years we had them near Cody and Red Lodge in MT. They will cross the state lines to avoid the pressure from different seasons between states, different methods, and pressure, Idaho and MT share a long and circuitous border, I know most of it from hunting and some trapping there for years. Its gonna take way more than they are giving us for tools to even come close to stopping the growth of wolf populations. They were never eradicated by Gun or trap originally------------------ or even helicopters, poison was the trick to get them down. The protected areas near Yellowstone and Glacier will continue to provide shelter for #s to grow from those areas. We will be fighting this battle for a long long time------
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrapper1 View Post
I lived in SW Montana, and have been in Idaho 11 years, I saw wolves many years before they did the "introduction" in the many areas I hunted in SW MT. I was in Cody WY living and working when they did it. In 3 years we had them near Cody and Red Lodge in MT. They will cross the state lines to avoid the pressure from different seasons between states, different methods, and pressure, Idaho and MT share a long and circuitous border, I know most of it from hunting and some trapping there for years. Its gonna take way more than they are giving us for tools to even come close to stopping the growth of wolf populations. They were never eradicated by Gun or trap originally------------------ or even helicopters, poison was the trick to get them down. The protected areas near Yellowstone and Glacier will continue to provide shelter for #s to grow from those areas. We will be fighting this battle for a long long time------
I completly agree. Espcially here in MT we are allowed no bait, no hunting aids, and no trapping. When I was a kid I knew guys who hung fresh bloody meat on a large treble hook just out of their reach so they had to jump for it they got em alright. We need a bounty on em and we need to be able to bait em, a few more years of this and we literally won't have ANY elk or moose left and damned few deer. Things won't change until one of our children is killed by wolves. Folks have already been mauled bow hunting for deer and elk they just refuse to publicise the fact.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

Apache sniper, You will get to trap them, but by VERY restrictive measures compared to most places. 48 hrs is a joke, no snares is a slap in the face, I saw a news post online from the Missoula meeting, MFW&P feels the need to get aggressive to control them, BUT -- they are appeasing the rampant environmental groups in MT that have embedded so deep there for years. You are too far gone to recover the elk herds the great state of Montana once had, they will never recover as long as the wolf is not curtailed by 70% or better EVERY year. It will not happen with no snaring and short seasons. Snaring was a big tool in the totals last year in Idaho, We still did not get half of the wolves taken out here, without it, you will have a tougher time in Montana. They will get wary as the pressure mounts and they will disperse even farther into regions you never suspected next. I wish Montana the best in controlling the wolves, I lived there a long time and may be there part of the time to help rid the country of a few Lobo's myself! Good Luck, we in the west are gonna need it for the future of big game hunting as we knew it. I found a wolf killed moose this weekend high on the divide of the Mt Id border, I snowshoed in 4 miles, they are chasing right up on the divide right now, elk are running from high drainage to drainage, imagine the low calf birthrate on the few remaining cows we have !!!!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

I was just reading some of the comments by biologist in Missoula dated 5/23/12. They are just amazing to listen to. Comments "like indications of a coming crash" "ratios past tipping point" "areas that some ungulate herds are near extinction". They are hopeful that an aggressive wolf season this year to "prevent a crash of deer and elk populations".
They want to "chart a course where predator and the preyed upon can co-exist". What books are these morons reading?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Gold Member

I think they call them GREENIE TREE HUGGER BOOKS.