Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Montana Wolf Hunting News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Montana Wolf Hunting News

The future season might be a little better.

FWP, county commissioners talk about wolves, other predators

Jeff
Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: Montana Wolf Hunting News

Maybe - just maybe - the general policy makers are starting to see the light. Let's hope it isn't a train.

Now if we could just get Montana SB42 repealed or amended we would have a real chance to rebuild our elk/deer herd in some areas.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Maybe - just maybe - the general policy makers are starting to see the light. Let's hope it isn't a train.

Now if we could just get Montana SB42 repealed or amended we would have a real chance to rebuild our elk/deer herd in some areas.
I hope you MT folks see some change for the better. For us non-residents what is SB42?
I'm also glad all predators are being talked about, but in the last line of the article the use of the phrase "hysteria over wolves" by FWP commissioner Bob Ream may be an insight into how seriously he takes the issue.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Right now we are loosing more elk and deer to big cats in this area. But the wolves have just moved in. I can go find a fresh cat kill about anyday I want.

I hunted the wolves pretty hard this past season. But didnt really get serious about it until after elk season closed. Seems to me the wolves are getting smart fast and now you will work hard or simply get lucky to get close to one.

Reminds me of an old saying. " Best time to shoot a wolf,... is when you see it"

Jeff
Old 03-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
better. For us non-residents what is SB42?
SB42 is a Montana Senate bill that was passed in I believe 2004. This bill mandates the Montana Game and Fish to meet pre-established game quotas by hunting district. It obviously is agriculture driven but it also ties G&F's hands.

What the bottom line is: we have areas that have had the elk herd reduced to it's lowest numbers ever BUT they are at quota and must remain there by Mt. law.

I would guess that under current status - if for some reason every wolf, cat, bear or whatever predator left tomorrow - by law the G&F has to keep the game numbers at these pre-established quotas. What they have historically done is the use of cow/doe tags, damage hunts, more emphasis on kids/handicap hunts etc..

When you are required by law to keep herds at a certain level and throw in predators or a bad winter etc., or combination of all you, have a recipe for a wreck.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

HarperC, I think you may have misinterpreted the "hysteria over wolves" comment. He is referring to the common statewide enthusiasm for "managing" the critters. He takes them VERY seriously, I assure you.

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 03-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4XFore View Post
HarperC, I think you may have misinterpreted the "hysteria over wolves" comment. He is referring to the common statewide enthusiasm for "managing" the critters. He takes them VERY seriously, I assure you.
Thanks for the correction, I did interpret it as downplaying hunters concerns over the wolf's impact on big game animals. Actually I agree with both Broz, and some of the game officials that in many areas the wolf isn't he biggest source of predation. Black Bears and Lions in many area's have bigger impact on survival. I was especially impressed the FWP folks are looking at ways of managing animals with big ranges like the lion.