Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Maybe the little ones are the ones to shoot.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe the little ones are the ones to shoot.

A read of this article reveals that a hunter's quest for the largest may be a bit backwards???

Right or wrong, the first woof in the sights is the one that gets it. Also subsequent ones.

Wolves Lose Their Predatory Edge In Mid-life, Study Shows
Old 02-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: Maybe the little ones are the ones to shoot.

Roy, you come up with some of the most interesting "woof" articles of anyone I know. But I think I have to agree with the idea that the predatory edge wears off after mid-life. I know mine has, but I've augmented that edge with a long range boomer that will help dramatically if I can ever find some of the critters. I may shoot a big one first though. Any others will definitely be smaller. The more the merrier..........

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 02-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

I saw a picture of a dead female and about a dozen pups from back when poisoning dens was legal. He's right, the younger you get them the more effectively it helps the elk population.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Now that they've been introduced and given a big head start on us; I believe it's gonna take all the tools to keep them in check. If these tools are legal or not will become the question at some point.

Keeping coyotes in check in livestock areas has included trapping, poisoning, snaring, cyanide capsules (getters), denning, dogging, arial gunning, bounties, hunting (both day and night), and regulations allowing "kill any way possible and shoot on site". Often, the people who are employed to excercise these tactics are doing all the above (at one time or another) on the same ranch or group of ranch/farms. These things have been used on coyotes for decades now. Even with those measures in place, coyotes have thrived and expanded their territories to now span from coast to coast.

I see absolutely no reason that the wolves will be any different. They're not much more than a big, brave, aggressive, tenacious coyote with a similar social structure and biological make up, and perhaps a little more pack oriented.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

I agree and after about 150 + days in the last 3 seasons, they are hard to catch up with. I have tracked them for multiple days. A guy shot a yearling in front of me 3 yrs. back[ MT 1st season] and I got info 5 minutes later. They where at about 6500 ' and howling, but kept to timber, I was hoping for a long bomb shot. They had just killed DEER , and they walked in and killed at kill. Poetic justic
Old 02-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

I like it. Kill off the yearlings and let the old ones starve out.