Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Looks like MT might get easier to hunt!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Gold Member

Re: Looks like MT might get easier to hunt!

SHUT DOWN!!

I went up there this morning chained the Dodge up all the way around at the bottom because this road can be a little crazy with snow and ice! Made it in about a mile and there is a chain across the road with a big white fwp sign saying area closed to all access till May, 25!! WHAT THE HELL!!! Two days ago a buddy drove in about 3 miles further then hiked the rest of the way with no problems . This area is owned by the FWP and they close it with wolves running the area and the season still open!?!?

I thought the fwp were for taking the wolf population down a little not restricting hunters from taking them out!

So quite pissed off about the area closure then to add to it they put the chain across the road right before a turn around area! i mean come on people put the damn sign down where you can see it before you are fully committed to this road that is just wide enough to drive the truck up to begin with!

Vented!!!

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 01-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

Sounds about the way one would expect the fish cops to do it! Is the closed area a wma?
How much fun was that vehicle turn around operation?

Oh you ask, why can this dept. not understand how much money these mutts are costing them? I will not fully explain how I feel about this, but it has to do with a bunch of sissies when it comes to this wolf political issue, and a dept full of wolf lovers running the show! Which is old news. Except commisioner Dan vermillion who is my hero on this one for opposing the sudden closure (temporarily ha ha) of wolf hunting around YNP.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Gold Member

Yes it is a wma.

And vehicle turn around operation!! Haha let's just say there was no such thing as turn around in my future! I ended up backing the whole way out and the thing that sucked is on the way up i wasnt expecting to need to back down the mountain so where the drifts were i wasnt as worried about hugging the up hill side so when id hit them in the middle it would suck my truck toward the down hill side so lets just say backing back down through all the drifts (75% of the way up there) was a bit interesting. All i have to say is a full set of chains is worth their weight i gold on that kind of ****.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

ALWAYS have a full set of chains on Montana back roads, especially in the winter. And if it rains on you while you're on a Gumbo road, you're not going anywhere without chains until it dries out which could be days. I've done the backing out thing down the mountain a couple of times, no fun for sure. I've pulled a couple of rigs out of the ditch on forest service roads too. I had chains and they didn't.

This whole wolf thing is B@#$%^&*! The only way it's gonna get fixed is to have a state goverment that will stand up to the Feds and good luck with that with the current Gov, Baucus and Tester. They need to go!

It will take year round hunting and trapping just to control these killers.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Gold Member

1 on the chains thing mine never leave my tool box even in the summer. Ha and with backing out of areas big mirrors are a life saver!! God i love those dodge mirrors! Lol

As for Baucus and Tester we are in trouble not only with wolves but our second amendment! Special Tester! I love how when he is here he's a sportsman but up in Washington it's like hes a mini obama... They tell us one thing and as soon as they walk away they are doing the exact opposite... great government..

Im off to Texas!! Hehe

Old 01-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
Oh boys, we almost had our way with the mutts today!
But back on topic!
I find it interesting how Montana did not manage the wolves initially and now we have no elk! The Gardiner MT was a world renowned area for elk hunting! Now there is barely a general hunt! The money that those elk made the fish and game was crazy, and those elk kept the state ALIVE!
I read 2 days ago that the YNP only has 40 wolves left from disease, from a population high of 170...Ha Ha! So now they are saying that because the wolf populations were so dense that disease spread at an unprecedented rate.....Really? Are you serious? Are they doing what I think, now that the whole elk herd is gone they are basically saying the wolf numbers should have been controlled?
The idiots vaccinate the wolves for Parvo, and who knows what else, but will not orally vaccinate Bighorn sheep for lung worm (which is from domestic sheep) or treat Pink Eye, because it is unnatural! Each mature Bighorn ram is worth a ton of money to the economy not to mention the Fish and Game Dept. These idiots need to go broke! The bison problem that is costing so much money to manage? Oh simple, Give the animal a nuisance status, enabling the bison to be harvested for food for free by anybody! Oh no more government money being spent and people would flock to the area for their chance at Tatonka, flooding the economy with money, from every gas stop, restaurant, sporting goods store, Etc. across the country. Oopsie, Good for everyone!
And make the wolf a predator, for Christ sake I am begging!
AMEN on that! I'd prefer a "shoot on site" order for the mutts, but I'd settle for "predator" status.

Hey 500, are you coming here with Broz? I'll check for chains running across the roads ahead of time fog ya! Ha Ha, couldn't resist.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

For you guys running the thompson river check the bottom of rock creek and richards peak over on the farns worth road. They hit those areas hard. There is also a big pack that hits the back of bar Z in the murr creek canyon. Not sure which one is the pack that comes off of rock creek but there are alot of black ones on that pack. Out by lost trail they have a den up above the bear springs road and they have been dropping off to the west by the school( they hunt that guys cows he lost a lot of cows to wolves). Also check the Mckillup loop road they run that a lot to. In the ashley lake area they were running the ridge between ashley lake and bittroot lake. The back side of talley lake has a den also and the cross on talley if its iced over. We have called them out on the ice a lot of times. For the guys shooting long range that one would be fun just have not had time to do it ( more lazy then time) with lion season. I know where there are more if anyone wants to know.

Last edited by lhouston78; 01-26-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: miss type