Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Wolf Hunting

Looks like MT might get easier to hunt!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

Re: Looks like MT might get easier to hunt!

Oh boys, we almost had our way with the mutts today!
But back on topic!
I find it interesting how Montana did not manage the wolves initially and now we have no elk! The Gardiner MT was a world renowned area for elk hunting! Now there is barely a general hunt! The money that those elk made the fish and game was crazy, and those elk kept the state ALIVE!
I read 2 days ago that the YNP only has 40 wolves left from disease, from a population high of 170...Ha Ha! So now they are saying that because the wolf populations were so dense that disease spread at an unprecedented rate.....Really? Are you serious? Are they doing what I think, now that the whole elk herd is gone they are basically saying the wolf numbers should have been controlled?
The idiots vaccinate the wolves for Parvo, and who knows what else, but will not orally vaccinate Bighorn sheep for lung worm (which is from domestic sheep) or treat Pink Eye, because it is unnatural! Each mature Bighorn ram is worth a ton of money to the economy not to mention the Fish and Game Dept. These idiots need to go broke! The bison problem that is costing so much money to manage? Oh simple, Give the animal a nuisance status, enabling the bison to be harvested for food for free by anybody! Oh no more government money being spent and people would flock to the area for their chance at Tatonka, flooding the economy with money, from every gas stop, restaurant, sporting goods store, Etc. across the country. Oopsie, Good for everyone!
And make the wolf a predator, for Christ sake I am begging!
Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

Bros id like to buy a cold pack and just sit down and bs with so i can put a person to the messages. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by threejones View Post
I think it might be possible to push em out from below and catch crossing the logging road ambush style, but it'd take a bunch of guys to do it.
And after i get a few brewskies in bros ill convince him we need to car poll down and help you push. Hahah

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 01-18-2013, 06:37 AM
Gold Member

Personally, I have thought for quite awhile that charging $350 for a non-resident wolf tag is kind of dumb. The state of Montana ought to make it so any big game license is automatically valid for two wolves as well. Call it a combo license. Then sell $50 non-resident wolf tags to anyone who just wants to hunt wolves.

I understand that wolves are difficult to hunt under any circumstances, let alone some of the crazy restrictions currently in existence. It also seems to me that many of the folks taking wolves successfully are big game hunters engaging targets of opportunity. Moreover, since wolves have not been hunted in the lower 48 for a very long time, we as hunters are going to have to undergo a very steep learning curve. IMO, the more sets of eyes and the more rifles we can get afield, the better.

I used to live in Montana and coveted a Gardiner elk hunt for a long time. It's a shame that dream is gone. I would gladly pay $50 for a wolf tag and would be willing to plan a trip solely for that purpose. No way will I pay $350 for the privelege of helping Montana Fish & Game solve a problem that they created themselves.

I hope the folks in charge wise up and loosen the rules for hunting wolves and I hope they do it in time to save the game herds that have made Montana the envy of much of the country. If they don't, the revenue won't be there to support their own jobs. Trouble is, that goes for a lot of other folks who deserve better than that!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Benchracer, good post. I agree. At the meeting a few nights ago I learned the non-res tag price is to go down for 2013. I do feel they will do this now. Also I feel we will be allowed to use electronics to call. Don't know if this will help that much but as the population numbers increase finding one should be easier too.

500Mag, we need to meet up one day. As for helping Threejones, I may be making a trip with a friend over there soon.

Jeff
Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Silver Member

Jeff, I think the bill passed 100-0 in favor of reduced fees, no orange required, etc....trying to look it up now.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

Well i went and sent from the ultra this evening and shes still hitting beautiful. 700 yards one into the hill side to warm her and the next right to the heart of a 2 liter bottle of pepsi. Tomorrow morning heading out to see if i can find that big gray devil that was spotted yesterday night.

Set up high before light and wait and see if he'll give me an opportunity AGAIN!!

I know he is the exact same!!! EXACT same one that out waited me during big game season. Round two will hopefully be mine!!

Ill report back tomorrow night!!

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Silver Member

Spoke a little early, but the bill is still in the works and will progress to the senate soon. Lawmakers look for stronger actions against wolves in MT | KTVQ.com | Q2 | Billings, Montana